Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'suppressor vent'.
Found 1 result
So my last suppressor was approved. It’s going to live on my 10.5” LMT. It’s probably the best suppressor I’ve used and it really tames that 10.5” AR. Anyhow, we all know the biggest downside of an AR is also one of its big bonuses. The DI gas system. It shits where it eats. What also makes it reliable, soft shooting and ridiculously accurate, also makes it filthy. It gets exacerbated by being suppressed. All that gas gets blown wherever it can go. Enter suppressor vents. A few places make these. Supposedly they make a huge difference. It replaces the forward assist, which is useless anyway. But that’s another debate for another day. It allows an easy avenue of escape for the gas. After cleaning it tonight I was willing to try it. But I didn’t want to pay $30 or more for a plug. Especially when I have perfectly good and useless FA sitting there. So push in the FA and drive out the roll pin. The assembly comes out. Save the spring. Secure the assembly, drive out another roll pin holding the pawl in the assembly. Now it’s as far down as you can get. Use a scribe or pick to clean out the channel for the pawl. If you look at the now stripped assembly. You’ll see a bump where it rest against the pin. That faces to the rifle. Go toward the back on the button but 90 degrees down. You’ll need to bump a dot on there and then drill with whatever size you want. I think I used a 7/32. It’s gonna go kinda easy. But you’ll tell when it makes it to the channel. Now the same channel for the pawl needs to be opened up. Using the same bit, drill in at an angle toward the hole you just made. It should naturally go that way. Voila. You made a vent. Blow it out, clean it out. Reassemble.