Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Handgun Caliber Long Guns

I've always assumed this was the case. Handguns generally use fast burning powders in order to get as much as they can from the short amount of time they have to make it happen. But they also usually leave some meat on the bone. Close range shots from a handgun always leaves tone of soot and stipling and even flakes of completely unburned powder. 

This kinda confirms it. 

From what I have seen, there is a sweet spot between longer is better and too long and slows the bullet down.

45acp is something like 7-8 inches. 9mm is longer

1 hour ago, Etho said:

That also makes sense. 

It also depends on powder as you mentioned earlier. 

Guess Federal has come out with PCC 9mm ammo for longer barrels. Tim from Military Arms Channel uses a lot of it and likes it. Think it is 135gr

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

It also depends on powder as you mentioned earlier. 

Guess Federal has come out with PCC 9mm ammo for longer barrels. Tim from Military Arms Channel uses a lot of it and likes it. Think it is 135gr

Interesting. My 9mm SBR has a 4" barrel so using normal pistol ammo is fine for it. But if I ever switch to a longer barrel I'll look into it. 

7 minutes ago, Etho said:

Interesting. My 9mm SBR has a 4" barrel so using normal pistol ammo is fine for it. But if I ever switch to a longer barrel I'll look into it. 

Just had a M.A.C. video playing and it is 130gr syntech, if I heard correct.

9 minutes ago, Etho said:

I've been looking into doing an ar9 pistol build, and was wondering about that short of a barrel.

What do you think of the 4" on yours? I was thinking of 8-9"for the increased velocity. Would you do 4" again or go longer?

What mags are you running?

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I've been looking into doing an ar9 pistol build, and was wondering about that short of a barrel.

What do you think of the 4" on yours? I was thinking of 8-9"for the increased velocity. Would you do 4" again or go longer?

What mags are you running?

I wanted a compact SBR to mimic a sub gun. Also I have a suppressor in purgatory for it. To keep it as compact as possible I went as short as reasonably possible. So if building with the same intentions, I’d do it again. 

I don’t have any complaints. It’s just a range toy to be honest. Not that I wouldn’t use it with some +P HSTs for defensive use. Would be the same as using a Glock 17 but even easily being shoulder fired. 

Mine is a Glock lower. Since I already had so many Glock magazines it just made sense. 

19 minutes ago, Etho said:

I wanted a compact SBR to mimic a sub gun. Also I have a suppressor in purgatory for it. To keep it as compact as possible I went as short as reasonably possible. So if building with the same intentions, I’d do it again. 

I don’t have any complaints. It’s just a range toy to be honest. Not that I wouldn’t use it with some +P HSTs for defensive use. Would be the same as using a Glock 17 but even easily being shoulder fired. 

Mine is a Glock lower. Since I already had so many Glock magazines it just made sense. 

Being shoulder fired makes it easier with less practice. I'm thinking of trying one with the Steiner M&P mag block, since I'm sticking with the M&Ps.

Will Glock 19 mags work with your lower? I realize 15 rounds goes really quick, but kind of interested since I'm getting a compact.

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

Being shoulder fired makes it easier with less practice. I'm thinking of trying one with the Steiner M&P mag block, since I'm sticking with the M&Ps.

Will Glock 19 mags work with your lower? I realize 15 rounds goes really quick, but kind of interested since I'm getting a compact.

Yep. All 9mm double stack mags work. 26/19/17/18. 

4” barrel! Yeah, I think I have handguns with longer barrels. Compactness must be nice though. 

1 hour ago, Drck said:

4” barrel! Yeah, I think I have handguns with longer barrels. Compactness must be nice though. 

My Glock 17 has a longer barrel! 

Between the barrel length a PDW stock, it’s tiny.

Edited by Etho

As far as velocity goes. I chrono tested the same load off 44 mag from a 6”, 10” and a 1895 marlin the velocity went up as the barrel length went up. Gained about 200 FPS from short to long. 

1 hour ago, Etho said:

I’d go through even more 9mm per year!

9 mm prices are good now, so...

Do it! :D 

22 minutes ago, Drck said:

9 mm prices are good now, so...

Do it! :D 

Nevermind the $8k-$10k minimum price tag for a 9mm subgun.....

3 hours ago, Danatkins said:

You could get a mac11 and slap a lage on it lol. 

Nah. Machine guns are fun but I can think of more entertaining things to spend that sort of money on. Now if I won the lotto or something, different story. But otherwise I’ll pass. I’ve shot enough machine guns to have the itch satisfied. 

Agreed I enjoy shooting dad's M11/9 with a can and subs but would be much more fun if it were closed bolt. Still don't know why he bought the NIB mac instead of a 1 mag mp5 for the same price lol

2 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Agreed I enjoy shooting dad's M11/9 with a can and subs but would be much more fun if it were closed bolt. Still don't know why he bought the NIB mac instead of a 1 mag mp5 for the same price lol

Oh wow. Yeah that wasn’t very smart. That MP5 would damn near pay for a college education nowadays. The Macs are climbing but not very fast. 

He bought it cause it was unfired. The mp5 wasn't.  He also passes on a mini gun for 20k right before the ban. That fucker would sell for 450k now

29 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

He bought it cause it was unfired. The mp5 wasn't.  He also passes on a mini gun for 20k right before the ban. That fucker would sell for 450k now

Shoulda coulda woulda. No one knew they were gonna reach the prices they have. My dad had a few he sold in 88-89 for pennies compared what he could’ve gotten had he waited.