Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

Pontoon Anchor stakes

Our last fishing outing on the boat was a bit irritating. the wind was strong enough to make us drift pretty quickly, but not strong enough to move us fast enough to have the anchor really dig in. The area we fish is mainly mud bottoms and 3-6 feet deep.

I was thinking of picking up a 5/8" thick 8' long fiberglass tree stake and fabbing up a mount on the front and back of the boat to set this thing through and jam it into the mud. kina like a poor man's power pole.

Anybody do anything similar to a larger boat? I've seen it done on smaller fishing vessels, but mine is a 22' rig.

Try one of these anchors.

Image result for nz boat anchor .

My old man has them on both boats. ideal for sand ,mud and gravel bottoms. The more you drift the harder it sets and to un set it you just drive over it  and it pops up easy as.

Mud bottom and it isn't digging in? Sounds like you don't have enough weight for the boat. 

As far as your idea, yeah it's done all the time. They're called spud poles. Used on airboats and mudboats all the time. Fiberglass will snap. That boat around generates more force than you think it does. 

11 hours ago, Etho said:

Mud bottom and it isn't digging in? Sounds like you don't have enough weight for the boat. 

As far as your idea, yeah it's done all the time. They're called spud poles. Used on airboats and mudboats all the time. Fiberglass will snap. That boat around generates more force than you think it does. 

good deal. i'll go looking for a different anchor later on.

10 hours ago, JRed said:

Should get a harpoon gun. 

now that would be something. My ghetto arse cruising into the shallows near some rich guy's boat house and pulling out a harpoon gun to anchor myself.

Heavier chain on your anchor  or if you are just using rope more line needs to be let out 

You want 5 or 6 times (or more if just using rope) of anchor cable out compared to depth 

Ie if you are in 5 meters of water you want 25-30 meters of anchor chain out 

The shank of your anchor needs to be horizontal to allow the flukes to dig in 

Edited by Blae
  • Like 1