Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Savage 110 FCP HS .338 LM

Picked one up to do some mile shooting, hoping by the end of the year. It was a pretty big debate between this or building or buying a .300 WM or .300 PRC. The .300 WM was ruled out pretty quick due to the belted magnum and potential dangerousness of reloading. Then PRC was ruled out just because I don’t want to be stuck with a PRC if they fall out of vogue. Ultimately settled on .338 Lapua Mag. It’ll do whatever I need when it comes to long range precision or hunting if I decided to. It’s been around for 30 years and proven effective.

Ammo costs suck a big ole schlong. It makes .50 look reasonable. But other than zeroing and some mags, it won’t get shot unless I’m heading to a 1000 or more. It doesn’t have the allure of the .50, so I won’t have people bugging me. 

I debated having one built, but it was just too goddamn expensive. It would have been in the $3000 range at the minimum. Enter the Savage 110. It isn’t perfect, it won’t likely hold against a custom build. But it will do what I want, which means hitting steel in the 1000-2000 yard range. I do plan on bedding it and adding a cheek rest/riser. But otherwise it’ll be as it is, unless something drastically goes wrong. 

Its well made. No complaints there. This is my first Savage centerfire, been around a lot over the years. Shot a lot but never owned one. It comes with a 20 MOA base, accutrigger and HS Precision stock. It has a non proprietary bottom metal thankfully. The mags are $129 but it’s AICS long action standard so I have options at least. I’ll have to see about the brakes effectiveness. None of my suppressors will work unfortunately and .338 suppressors are big money. So that’ll never happen. 

Glass is a Burris XTR II mil rad, 5-25x50 with 34mm tube. I’ve used one of these extensively in PRS on my 6.5 AR10. I’ve had very good luck out to 1300 using it. Clarity and all are great. Rings are Seekins. I love me some Seekins. Base, for now, is an EGW in aluminum. That’ll probably change. 

Ammo will be here tomorrow and it’ll be Finnish boom boom time. 

738D4F16-47D3-49DA-99B8-8019AD522718.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Meke said:

Nice rifle.  I can normally work out most accronyms  but what does FCP HS  short for.?

No idea what FCP means, HS is for the stock as it’s an HS Precision stock.

Just Googled it, it’s their internal codes. F means synthetic stock, C means detachable magazine and P means police. 

Edited by Etho

2 minutes ago, Meke said:

Savage have a contract to supply law enforcement.

Not that I’m aware of, they might though. Probably not many contracts for precision rifles anyway. It isn’t something that really ever gets used anyway, much less in poor environmental conditions. More likely just built a bit tougher for perceived harsher conditions. 

5 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

My buddy has the old chassis model of that. It's a hog. My next rifle will be a prc. How heavy is that one

Not bad, probably around 12-15lbs I’d guess. I’m not planning on walking around with it so not a big deal. 

Edited by Etho

Got it zeroed today and fired three magazines. Took very little effort to zero at 100. Shot a group to check and it held about an 1.5”. Using Sellier & Bellot “Match” which uses 250gr SMKs. I’ll see if the barrel wears in with these 250s or if I need to step up to 300s. 

Recoil was surprisingly minimal. Like a stout .308 load. Report was loud but not unbearable. But definitely not “normal”. It does not clear benches like a .50 though. To be honest it was quite underwhelming. I expected more fan fare. 

I did, luckily, check the bottom metal. The damn screws were barely tightened. Got those torqued to 50 inch lbs. No loosening of anything that I could find either. 

The Burris performed. They always do though. Excellent optics. 

I'd stay with the 250-285 weight. I was listening to Frank Galli on his podcast the other day he was saying the 300 are what kind of kill the 338lm they don't go as fast as they need to keep up velocity at longer rangers. Being a savage it'll probably speed up around 150 or there abouts my 308 has 165 on it and starting to do that

I’ll load and shoot whatever the barrel prefers. They’re all different. 

They also change a lot in the first few hundred rounds. I’m going to learn the rifle at 500 for the 80 rounds I have then load up some to see what it likes then load again what it likes and head to Cresson, Texas. 

13 hours ago, Etho said:

They also change a lot in the first few hundred rounds. I’m going to learn the rifle at 500 for the 80 rounds I have then load up some to see what it likes then load again what it likes and head to Cresson, Texas. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume Cresson Texas is very flat and empty

2 hours ago, JRed said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume Cresson Texas is very flat and empty

I dunno, never been there. But Triple C Gun Range is there and it goes to 2000 yards.

3 hours ago, Etho said:

I dunno, never been there. But Triple C Gun Range is there and it goes to 2000 yards.

Definitely flat and empty then 😂

Sounds like a good time. Except for buying mags. That’s quite a premium. 

1 hour ago, JRed said:

Definitely flat and empty then 😂

Sounds like a good time. Except for buying mags. That’s quite a premium. 

Almost as much as my Barrett. But not like I need a bunch. I’ll buy one and maybe one more. It just isn’t something I need a bunch of