Sign in to follow this  
vic_b

Added another member to the family.

Yesterday, I went to a gun store up north of me. (Bothell) DJ's gun and pawn. That store has everything! While he was looking at a Sig 1911, I was looking around and spotted an 1897 shotty, not a bad price at 395.00, no bluing left on it, wood is in decent shape, bore has a few spots in it and the action was stiff as a young lad, looking at the sears catalogue ladies section! It was extremely difficult work the slide in other words. I talked him down a 100.00, filled out the paperwork and went home with it. First thing I did was spray it down with WD-40, that helped a lot!! Got the action where I could work it pretty smooth and now it is in the process of being torn down for refinishing. I'll keep you all posted.

4ED91F5F-2078-4AEC-A708-1DB7C5333A90.jpeg

Edited by vic_b

Yup 12 gauge. I have one I got when my father in law passed that is about 75/80% I wanted one I could experiment on. 
This one is my Sunday go to meeting shotgun. It will go to one of my wife’s kids the new one will go to one of mine. 

0A8964ED-A7BF-4567-B7C7-5C7DEB0E0821.jpeg

7DEF0FB3-79F0-4434-94B0-DFBB36012C57.jpeg

FFC49932-A87F-4EC4-9C8D-46A850074979.jpeg

A1C21FF9-B8CB-425C-AF34-C94B79B003BB.jpeg

I’m starting to lean towards a slow rust bluing on it. First I’ll do a thorough cleaning and test fire. See if it’s possible to polish the bore a little.  Then make sure I won’t fuck anything up value wise by restoring it. I know it’s worth more than what I paid for it. Heck! Seen one on gunbroker that was in worse shape and it was going for 600.00 with another week to go on the auction. 

Sitting here looking at it, I’m thinking the same thing. A lot of stories in all them dings and dents. 108 years of history. 

Yep and it’s ok for guns to look used. Big difference between use wear and abuse wear. 

This one has both. I'll clean it up and shoot it for awhile then make my decision. The more I look at it though.... There's also an outfit that does conversions to trench guns too.

All cleaned up and put back together. That’s got to be the dirtiest firearm I’ve ever seen! Went through a pint of hopped and a can of carb cleaner. But she’s a lot smoother! Like night and day difference!

I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t clean guns at all. Which I dunno if that worse or better than the clean every time it’s shot no matter the round count types. 

I go by the gun condition. If it’s dirty I clean. Truck stash pistol and nightstand pistol gets cleaned every time. But this shotgun was bad, really bad!

16 hours ago, vic_b said:

I go by the gun condition. If it’s dirty I clean. Truck stash pistol and nightstand pistol gets cleaned every time. But this shotgun was bad, really bad!

Only thing that I clean with any regularity are 17, 26 and 10.5” AR. I clean at 1000 rounds or 6 months whichever comes first. Most people over clean. 

My 6.5 hasn’t been cleaned in 2 years. 😂 Still holds under an inch. 

Edited by Etho

Beautiful shotgun. Pawn shop I went to had a norinco riot model for 150 I thought about it but everytime I shoot one I get my thumb lol. My buddy loves them things he's had like 4 of them.

I’m thinking about going up and getting a model 12. They got about 3 10 foot racks of old shotguns. I got the last 97. 

14 hours ago, vic_b said:

I’m thinking about going up and getting a model 12. They got about 3 10 foot racks of old shotguns. I got the last 97. 

I was looking around a bit, some of those Model 12's are getting up there? 

Took it up shooting to try it out this morning. It went bang! Ran a half box of high speed rounds through it. Tried to slam fire a few rounds and did it, but the muscle memory to reset the trigger is strong! I could do 3 rounds in a row then screw up. 

I bet so. I’ve never shot one before but the slam fire feature is cool. Would be good for duck hunting!

I’m kind of leary about slam firing it. I read in a few places it tends to break a screw in the bolt. I have yet to see one to buy.