Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Victor to Temecula

Alternatively titled "Why Utah is Super Cool"

Alternatively titled "In which I convince Etho to spend his OT on an ADV bike"

This is super long, and I'm new to the video stuff. If you don't want to read everything, skip to the Day 2 video, and start watching from the 50 second mark. That's the best part, and I bet you watch the rest of it after that.

Without further ado...

Ride Report for my trip back to Temecula from Victor. I had originally planned on taking 5 days, and going over to Portland and taking the coast down. The wildfires were kind of a turn off though, so I stayed a couple days extra to do as much electrical work as possible, and made the return a 3 day, 1300 mile trip with a focus of seeing some parts of Utah I hadn’t seen before, some I hadn’t seen in 10 years, and some I just like.

08/30/17

Managed to leave by 9AM. Took the back roads by Palisades (I’ve did a vid of that road going the other way), and went by Bear Lake, which I’d never been to before, despite having lived near there most of my life. Took a mountain route down into Logan, Utah. That was almost the highlight of the day, and I have no video, because there was bug on my lens for the whole thing. It was like coming down a mountain/rainforest canyon. Super fun.

From Logan, I worked my way over to I-15 South and followed that down to I-84 East, taking that up to Morgan. Lunch there, and then south to East Canyon State Park, where I went around most of the East Canyon Reservoir, and continued down to Little Dell Reservoir, where I stopped to check maps and chatted with a couple guys who were on Day 13 from North Carolina on Ducatis. We compared road knowledge, which was good because the road I took from there had the slickest tar snakes I’ve ever been on, and thanks to their warning, I didn’t dump on the first corner.

From there it was Emigration Canyon down into Salt Lake, where I got to deal with the anathema that is construction/rush hour/no lane splitting for a while. The wait was worth it though, as I got off I-15 again and headed into Timpanogos Cave National Monument. This was a close second for highlight of the day, and unfortunately, my camera battery died at the top, so I don’t have any footage of the road going down the back into Aspen Grove, which was awesome. 

Went back down to the I-15, and took that to 89, which we would normally take to 6 to go to Moab. Instead, I stayed on the 89 until Fairview, and then went up to Electric Lake. Got there right after sunset, and was the only person at the campground. Did not get eaten by bears.

08/31/17

Got an early start to by far the best day of the trip. Got sprinkle on intermittently throughout the day, which was perfect. 65-75 degrees all day. Worked my way out of the hills and by a bunch of reservoirs to Huntington. Beautiful road. Zipped south through the desert, and crossed I-70 to take a frontage road over to State Route 72, which was super fun.

Made my to Grover, and then down State Route 12 which was almost the highlight of the day, but Escalante killed it. SR-12 stayed in the mountains on the edge of the desert, and I think the highest elevation sign I saw was over 9000 feet. It was gorgeous, and fun. From there it was south to Escalante. I spent a month backpacking there back in Fall 2006 and hadn’t been back since. Best part of the trip. Riding that road is like flying. I don’t know why I stayed away for so long, and will take a backpacking trip out there hopefully in the Spring.

From there I went past Bryce Canyon National Park, and went through some place called Duck Creek Village on the way down into Cedar City. Never been on that road, and it was again, a blast. Beautiful canyon, awesome views, fun road.

After getting to Cedar City, it was back on 1-15 to St. George, and camping in Snow Canyon State Park, which is super under rated. 

09/01/17

In which I enter Hell.

I-15 South to Moapa Valley, then South to the Valley of Fire. It was a brisk 94 degree there at 9AM. I toured the park real quick, and then went south around Lake Mead. You can’t actually see much of the lake from that road. 

When I got to the SR-93, I went across the bridge in front of the Hoover Dam. Video taken both ways. Cant’ see anything, and I was standing on my pegs. I didn’t want to go to the actual dam, as it was 105 at that point, and waiting through the security checkpoint in full Gore-Tex riding gear was not appealing.

Got through SE Las Vegas without too much drama, and hit I-15 again towards the Mojave. The big bright towers are the Ivanpah solar plant. You can see them from about 15 miles away. The Mojave wasn’t bad. 104 degrees across most of it, except for the agriculture checkpoint, where it hit 116 from the traffic effect. Bleh.

Coming down into the Inland Empire, it got HOT. 114, pretty much the whole way. I opted for the I-215, which worked great until it got close to the 91. I got tired of lane splitting really quick, so I took the 91 across towards my school, and then my normal rural route home from there. Still 113 when I got home. Oh man. I was drenched.

08:30:17 Map.pdf

08:31:17 Map.pdf

09:01:17 Map.pdf

Edited by JRed
Moved channels

Wow.  Lot of work went into this presentation.  Good job. Do they change roading surfaces in different states?  The last video looked like concrete.

41 minutes ago, Meke said:

Wow.  Lot of work went into this presentation.  Good job. Do they change roading surfaces in different states?  The last video looked like concrete.

Whatever was cheapest at the time. 

34 minutes ago, Meke said:

I'd like to do that trip in a v8 ute. From LA airport to  somewhere up that away. How much gas did you burn on this trip.

I probably didn't even use 30 gallons. xD

40 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Dammit Boy! You got me wanting to come out of retirement......................................................maybe not?

Dooooo it

Really nice videos Red.  Enjoyed watching the scenery.    I noticed that big dam in the first video holding back all that water.  Thought that was pretty cool.

3 hours ago, alpo said:

Really nice videos Red.  Enjoyed watching the scenery.    I noticed that big dam in the first video holding back all that water.  Thought that was pretty cool.

Thanks Al. I don't know how it compares to the rest of the country, but if you drive past a mountain lake out west, chances are it's actually a reservoir. That particular dam was more unique though. Most of them aren't just a tall wall like that. 

• Like 1