Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Rim of the World Highway

Part of it at least. Got some new shoes for the bike earlier this week, and needed to a) scrub them in b) get out of this city, and c) put off studying for a midterm on Monday. Rim of the World Highway, SR18 runs through the San Bernadino National Forest, getting LA to places like Big Bear and Arrowhead Lake. It's a beautiful road. I've ridden the whole thing before with my Dad, and we actually made it a multi-day trip, and went through Angeles National Forest as well. I didn't have time for that, but wanted to get into the mountains because it's been at least 90 degrees here pretty much everyday since I've been back. This little loop took me all of an hour and a half, with an hour of that being from the foot of the mountains up and back down. So, 15 minutes to get out of the Inland Empire is definitely cool, and I have a feeling I'll be hitting this loop up pretty often, as long as it's not snowing up there. Traffic wasn't as light as I hoped, but it was better than expected. Don't really feel comfortable railing on shiny new tires on unfamiliar roads anyway, so the traffic was okay. A nice and refreshing 60 degrees up high, which was warmer than I thought it'd be, as Big Bear forecast said 32 this morning. All in all, a good ride.

10:14:17.png

Edited by JRed
Moved channels

Nice.  That looked pretty relaxing.  Gotta beat studying anyways.  :D

Jr just mentioned this week about getting a bike.  He's never ridden one to my knowledge but does get his license at the end of this year. 

Just now, FinFan77 said:

Nice.  That looked pretty relaxing.  Gotta beat studying anyways.  :D

Jr just mentioned this week about getting a bike.  He's never ridden one to my knowledge but does get his license at the end of this year. 

Have him take an MSF course. They are great for being such a short and relatively cheap course, and a lot of places passing one exempts you from the DMV testing.

2 minutes ago, Etho said:

That’s beautiful part of the world.

This state would be so cool with 30 million fewer people. 

1 hour ago, JRed said:

Have him take an MSF course. They are great for being such a short and relatively cheap course, and a lot of places passing one exempts you from the DMV testing.

What I wd love to have is a place for him to ride a dirt bike for hours.  You know there is just so much going on on a bike and a dirt bike can be a safer place to learn that stuff. 

3 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

What I wd love to have is a place for him to ride a dirt bike for hours.  You know there is just so much going on on a bike and a dirt bike can be a safer place to learn that stuff. 

Relatively. Never dumped a street bike, wrecked dirt bikes more times than I can count. But that is back in the days of two strokes. These pussy ass four strokes nowadays don’t have the neck snapping power bands that turn punching the throttle in a bumpy turn into a rodeo. 

12 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

If he’s interested, you should still make him do a course. I learned a ton. 

3 minutes ago, Meke said:

How far is this from the bush fires?

Far. The fires making the news right now are over 400 miles north of here. It’s a big state. 

2 hours ago, FinFan77 said:

My Brother and Nephew used too ride just S.East of you, I think It straddled the W.Virginia Border? Tens of thousands of acres of trails. Till he broke his leg.