Danatkins

Anyone ever heard of this

Well.... I suppose that would work. Seems like a lot of work when the layer of jb weld would be see through almost. I've seen stranger things done to rifles in the quest for accuracy. 

2 hours ago, Meke said:

Load of bollocks. just use a piece of bicycle inner tube.

Dear god, you’ve got to be part Alabamian or Georgian. 

Edited by Etho

11 hours ago, KZero said:

Not seen the video (at work,) but I’ve seen people bed scope bases to mate them to individual receivers. 

Ok, just watched it.  I can say I've never seen that before.  I always thought that was the idea behind having ring-lapping kits/tools, but like Vic said, no reason it wouldn't work.

Here's a video describing what I've heard of )this guy is good, and in your area, btw: )

Yeah I've heard that but I tend to agree with something John McQuay said a while back about lapping rings. Those rings and that optic are mated to that rifle at that point if you want to move them then you have to re-lap the rings

Not that I know anything about Lapping or beding scopes, but from an engineering point of view 

With expensive scopes and rings, I imagine a 30mm tube would be pretty damm close to 30mm +a flyshit and rings would be 30mm+ a cunt hair to clamp the tube with out crushing 

Cheaper scopes and rings with lower QA standards the measurements could be anyones guess 

Why don't people bed or lap cheaper scopes and rings on their hunting or plinking rifles or at least discuss it more often on forums

If the hole in your rings are misaligned and you shift it with lapping the hole in your rings is no longer round which might reduce the clamping on one side of the tube

When you bed, the hole would get smaller and not allow the ring to close properly which may lead to crushing or loss of clamping pressure on two sides of the tube 

Surely if your going to do either it would be best to do both?

You’d be surprised as far as lapping goes. When I did my 700 build I lapped my rings. It took a surprising amount of lapping to get a 90% plus mating surface. That was with a Trijicon scope and Seekins rings. 

As far as bedding changing the diameter, no it just fills in the gap. When you bed stuff, you torque it to spec to ensure it does not create tolerance stacking. 

3 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Yeah I've heard that but I tend to agree with something John McQuay said a while back about lapping rings. Those rings and that optic are mated to that rifle at that point if you want to move them then you have to re-lap the rings

When doing a precision rifle 9 times out of 10 it won’t ever get changed and if it does, the hardcore guys don’t care. I mean, they’re bedding a scope for cripes sake! 

17 hours ago, Etho said:

Dear god, you’ve got to be part Alabamian or Georgian. 

The logic is sound.  Rubber will compress and expand creating a perfect seal in the scope rings /scope  contact area.

!00%  bedding. Provide a bit of recoil damping on the scopes  retiticle too.  Thin bike inner tube rubber or even latex glove rubber would be good. The dish washing kind not the surgeon stuff.

3 minutes ago, Meke said:

The logic is sound.  Rubber will compress and expand creating a perfect seal in the scope rings /scope  contact area.

!00%  bedding. Provide a bit of recoil damping on the scopes  retiticle too.  Thin bike inner tube rubber or even latex glove rubber would be good. The dish washing kind not the surgeon stuff.

Or just pay $20 for some bedding compound and do it the right way. Or find someone who has a lapping bar and borrow it for free. 

Hell JB Weld and some shoe polish would $10. 

Edited by Etho

10 minutes ago, Etho said:

Or just pay $20 for some bedding compound and do it the right way. Or find someone who has a lapping bar and borrow it for free. 

Hell JB Weld and some shoe polish would $10. 

It is Meke we are talking about 

He probably needs conveyor belt to take up the slack after he laps his ring with the dremal

1 minute ago, Blae said:

It is Meke we are talking about 

He probably needs conveyor belt to take up the slack after he laps his ring with the dremal

:D

Touché. 

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with this. I only lapped the rings on my 700 because I got the bar for cheap. I do them now only because I have the tools. Reality is though I’m not nor will I ever be serious and more importantly good enough to really bother. 

I figure quality rings and you'll get plenty contact. They did a part 2 and shined a light through the scope and used a plumb line on the wall and leveled the reticle that way. Pretty nifty if I didn't have the Arisaka leveling kit I'd do it that way from now on

12 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

I figure quality rings and you'll get plenty contact. They did a part 2 and shined a light through the scope and used a plumb line on the wall and leveled the reticle that way. Pretty nifty if I didn't have the Arisaka leveling kit I'd do it that way from now on

See.  if they have to rotate the tube left or right a bit it makes their bedding job null and void. Because they set their paticular contact point in concrete, its bedded to the micro nuances of that point of the tube.

I had the rings lapped for my Vortex Viper scope and Leupold Mark IV rings and base.  Did it improve anything?  Dunno, but it was $20 when I did a bunch of other work, so just went with it. 

49 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

Acceptable yes, but not ideal by their standards. Maybe 70% or so. Lapping can get it to 100%. 

But again, it goes back to these guys care about minute changes that 98% of Shooters would never notice. Some are shooting a mile to two miles also. 

These guys know what they’re doing. Precision guys are probably the most serious about the hobby of anyone. They’re fanatical and extremely educated on all things firearms. If they’re doing it, there’s a reason. 

Edited by Etho

32 minutes ago, Meke said:

See.  if they have to rotate the tube left or right a bit it makes their bedding job null and void. Because they set their paticular contact point in concrete, its bedded to the micro nuances of that point of the tube.

I vote you make a YouTube video and tell them how they’re doing it all wrong. Then post up results from your way and see if it can shame them into doing it the right way, the Meke way.

22 minutes ago, Etho said:

I vote you make a YouTube video and tell them how they’re doing it all wrong. Then post up results from your way and see if it can shame them into doing it the right way, the Meke way.

Im not saying hes doing it wrong. Not at all. As he said at the start of the vid theres many roads to the same ending or something like that.  The guys are making a sincere video and good on them.

But it kinda reminds me of the story of nasa engeneering a pen that could write in zero gravity.  Russians just used a pencil.