Sign in to follow this  
Blae

Nice day at werk

10 minutes ago, vic_b said:

I recall days like that. Going on 3.5 years away now. It had its fun moments, but it's nice being home every day.

After more than 20 years if I had a family I would possibly be looking for a career change as well

It's rough when you got a family and gone for months at a time. With the way shit is going in the world I want to be close anyway. 

I got a feeling most of my extended family would be zombie poop the first day anyway.

I have some more footage of the same job from the helmet mounted camera 

The different perspective makes it look calmer than it actually was 

I am in the process of editing it and will post it later today if I get it done 

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Is that huge piered structure a railhead?

The coal comes into the port by train and unloaded in to stockpiles I think there is storage for a million tones on the ground from there a conveyor runs about 2.5km offshore to a ship loader 

3 ship loaders on 4 berths with a combined throughput of 13500 tons an hour

Which works out to be 1 and a half trains an hour to replace the coal that is being loaded on to ships i don't know how many trains a day arrive at the port but the stockpile will disappear after 2 days with no trains 

The 2017 calender year we will do close to 600 ships 

The terminal was basically shut down for 6 weeks after  cyclone debbie in march due to damage to the rail line where it comes down the mountain range 

We did 680 ships one year which put the terminal just over their theoretical max throughput

1 hour ago, Blae said:

The coal comes into the port by train and unloaded in to stockpiles I think there is storage for a million tones on the ground from there a conveyor runs about 2.5km offshore to a ship loader 

3 ship loaders on 4 berths with a combined throughput of 13500 tons an hour

Which works out to be 1 and a half trains an hour to replace the coal that is being loaded on to ships i don't know how many trains a day arrive at the port but the stockpile will disappear after 2 days with no trains 

The 2017 calender year we will do close to 600 ships 

The terminal was basically shut down for 6 weeks after  cyclone debbie in march due to damage to the rail line where it comes down the mountain range 

We did 680 ships one year which put the terminal just over their theoretical max throughput

The long metal works is the conveyor system that takes the coal from the railhead to the point that it is loaded on the ships, correct?

So you guys tie off on the cargo ships then move them into position with the tugs so that the ships can be loaded.  Is that accurate? 

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

The long metal works is the conveyor system that takes the coal from the railhead to the point that it is loaded on the ships, correct?

So you guys tie off on the cargo ships then move them into position with the tugs so that the ships can be loaded.  Is that accurate? 

That would be correct