Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Quick trip to the beach

Okay, it wasn't. It was 90 miles and with the day after Thanksgiving traffic, and hour and 45 minutes. But the video is quick. Went to meet the folks for the afternoon in Carlsbad, and wanted to go over the Ortega highway to get there. Lotta traffic, so nothing fast or exciting, but beats staring at the wall. Water was icy cold, even with a wetsuit, but it was nice to paddle around anyway. At sunset there was marine layer to the north and south of us, but our view was perfect. Love that beach.

IMG_3748.thumb.JPG.b81156d92e40f159173df9cdbdc94d7c.JPG

11:23:17.png

25 minutes ago, Etho said:

Cool video. Haven’t heard that song in a VERY long time. 

It turns out 90s alt/rock is awesome riding music. Energetic but not aggressive. 

31 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

Looks like a nice trip.  Gotta be good to get away at least.

Legal to pass up the stripe like that?

In California and most of the world, yes. The other 49 states, no. Kinda backwards. 

1 hour ago, Dupa220 said:

Damn, that's my old stomping grounds! Love San Clemente.

That area is beautiful. A lot busier than Carlsbad though. 

34 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

Nice video but passing on the stripe like that is just asking for trouble. Some day you'll find out.

I might, but it's totally worth it. For whatever the statistics are worth, I am less likely to be involved in an accident while lane splitting, but it's more likely to be someone else's fault and therefor harder to avoid. It's not too sketchy in heavy traffic because people just don't have space to change lanes. Coming up on a jam is a lot scarier, because everyone starts jockeying lanes thinking it'll make a difference. People are relatively accustomed to it here, and with flashing my high beams occasionally I've had very few close encounters. 

At the end of the day though, that drive should have taken me 2.5 hours according to Google Maps, and instead took me 1.75 hours. I'll take that option every time. xD

14 hours ago, JRed said:

I might, but it's totally worth it. For whatever the statistics are worth, I am less likely to be involved in an accident while lane splitting, but it's more likely to be someone else's fault and therefor harder to avoid. It's not too sketchy in heavy traffic because people just don't have space to change lanes. Coming up on a jam is a lot scarier, because everyone starts jockeying lanes thinking it'll make a difference. People are relatively accustomed to it here, and with flashing my high beams occasionally I've had very few close encounters. 

At the end of the day though, that drive should have taken me 2.5 hours according to Google Maps, and instead took me 1.75 hours. I'll take that option every time. xD

You wouldn't get away with lane splitting long here (in Amarillo).  Someone would open their door on you, quite intentionally.  Or they would chase you down, or possibly even get out of their car and try to catch you the first time that you came to a stop.  No, I'm not kidding one bit. Consequences be damned.  People are that aggressive here (and that big of assholes).   It's not that way in the entire state, but it sure as shit is that way here.  

But we have an overabundance of squids here (of which, you are not).   I've noticed the number of good riders really decline in the last decade.  Most of what we see here are squids now.  They really turn the populace against motorcyclists.  We probably have a motorcycle death once per week during the spring/summer months.  It's unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

That is a great vid, and great soundtrack (I'm a fan of POTUSA).  Looks like a fun ride.  NICE highway. 

It’s always nice riding the coast. I need to take the PCH north of LA one of these days. Like, tomorrow maybe. xD

Squids. Oof. I completely understand the desire to go fast and goof off. Riding has become a lot like snowboarding for me. But there are so many places to goof off where there aren’t other people. I can go out to the desert and run my bike at top speed and nobody will mind. If I could wheelie, nobody would care. Dragging a knee down empty mountain roads, nobody cares. Doing that shit in town, cutting people off and wearing a t shirt? WTF. 

On 11/30/2017 at 3:55 PM, JRed said:

It turns out 90s alt/rock is awesome riding music. Energetic but not aggressive. 

About 90% of it is good. Especially by today’s standards. 

Lane splitting would get you run over here. Hell driving in a truck/car gets sporting at some time of the day. Plus it’s illegal too. But that’s minor compared to some moron in a Dodge 3500 with stacks who, like the Rabbit mentioned, would probably conveniently decide to spit his cope via opening the door at the very moment you come up on him. 

Yeah motorcyclists gets no love here. Too many morons. We have a lot of guys on the KTM/Husky super motos or whatever their called doing some stupid shit. Then get pissed off when they get checked on their stupidity. 

Edited by Etho

On 12/1/2017 at 12:04 PM, JRed said:

It’s always nice riding the coast. I need to take the PCH north of LA one of these days. Like, tomorrow maybe. xD

Squids. Oof. I completely understand the desire to go fast and goof off. Riding has become a lot like snowboarding for me. But there are so many places to goof off where there aren’t other people. I can go out to the desert and run my bike at top speed and nobody will mind. If I could wheelie, nobody would care. Dragging a knee down empty mountain roads, nobody cares. Doing that shit in town, cutting people off and wearing a t shirt? WTF. 

And it's not just doing crazy stuff/stunting.  It's the guys that actually don't know how to ride and have no measure of skill at motorcycling, and riding in situations that might be better handled by someone with a bit more experience.  (Commuting in rush hour traffic should not be done by novice riders.  Period.  That is something to work up to, IMO).  And then doing stupid shit on top of that makes it worse.  And believe it or not, we've actually had quite a few drunk drivers/riders accidents.  Guys will go to a bar on their bikes, get tore up from the floor up, then get on their bike.  9 times out of 10, we hear about those on the news or in the newspaper.  And the Harley set here have gotten supremely obnoxious.  The majority have taken to being loud in any way possible.  Straight pipes and blaring stereos, both of which you can hear for blocks.  They will blast down any and every street as fast and as loud as they can.  They even take great delight in sitting at traffic lights, then hard revving their bikes while sitting still, thus scaring the living shit out of anyone near them.  Then they just laugh their asses off.  Sport bike riders will do wheelies in rush hour traffic, cut in and out of traffic (at speed), ride up next to people and knock on their windows while going down the road (usually males pursuing females sort of thing), and all manner of ridiculousness.  The motorcyclists here are really going out of their way to get the locals to hate them.  That usually doesn't bode well in a social environment like driving on public roads.  The majority of motorcyclists here are apparently bad at both math and physics.  I used to defend motorcyclists here, but I distanced myself from that crowd several years ago because of their behavior. 

Drinking and riding has be one of most retarded ways to kill yourself. I’ll have a beer, but I’ll have it with food. There is way too much going on to even risk a little bit of a buzz. I’d rather just drink at home and not have to worry about being even a little bit slow in reaction time. 

Lack of skill is a huge problem, but given the minimal requirements for getting a license, not surprising at all. There’s a good reason I wrecked my dad’s bike a couple months after moving here. Yes, someone was merging into me, but with more practice I could have avoided them and the pavement, and that would’ve been nice. There’s a couple really good riding schools down here I’d love to go to, but they’re pretty pricey.

I’ll admit it is super easy to have the mentality that the rules don’t apply when riding. Having the maneuverability and accelerstion to get by anyone means I always want to, even if it’s not practical. I like riding faster than the flow of traffic, just because it’s easier for me to recognize and avoid hazards ahead of me than behind me. In this vid, after that first traffic jam cleared up everyone starts accelerating. I kept my speed a little higher, not realizing traffic was moving at 90. Cops here don’t really care how fast you’re going on a bike unless it’s goofing around or going significantly faster than traffic, but there’s still no reason to be going 100 down the interstate. It’s just really easy to do when you get into the “I need to be faster because safety” mentality, and it eventually just becomes “I need to be faster.”

When I’m out of here I’m looking forward to more long tours. I love that. Getting off the beaten path, loaded down bike, and just taking it easy and enjoying the sights. Much more relaxing. Still has its risks, but that’s the kind of riding I keep wanting to do. 

So thats it then!!.   The other week on the main street in town this bikie went roaring up the road on a gold wing looking harly davidson with his stereo blasting out shit music to the max.  he went up the end and turned around then came roaring back.

I was thinking this cunts not cool , He's a fucken  pork chop.   Making a goose of himself  . A patched gang member too . Weirdest behaviour ive seen on two wheels.

So he must of been copy catting those  idiots  in usa then.  Ahh makes sense know. 

:bellylaf:Those music systems crack me up; they’re always on already loud bikes and the guy always has a half helmet. There is no way any of those guys can hear anything. 

Its the attention seeking that got me. He was like a little boy with clackers in his spoke wheeled bicycle  making a huge racket for all to see. Its cool when your 10 years old and but silly when yous a grown ass man. So not cool it was  laughable.

3 hours ago, Meke said:

Its the attention seeking that got me. He was like a little boy with clackers in his spoke wheeled bicycle  making a huge racket for all to see. Its cool when your 10 years old and but silly when yous a grown ass man. So not cool it was  laughable.

Oh yeah. It’s the same thing with the guys putting race exhaustS on their sport bikes that they only ride around town. LOOK AT ME 

3 hours ago, JRed said:

Oh yeah. It’s the same thing with the guys putting race exhaustS on their sport bikes that they only ride around town. LOOK AT ME 

Do you have the guys there that stick  mobil 1 and castrol , and shell stickers all over race replica bikes and you stand there scratching your head  thinking   " well which oil sponsors you  bro?"   Fucken muppets.