Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Hornady 178gr ELD Match

Anyone mess with these in .308? I loaded some yesterday and they shot absolutely terrible. 3-4 MOA @ 100. 

Load was as follows:

FGGM brass 2.005”

178gr ELD Match

39gr Benchmark

Federal 210s

2.8” COAL

It wasn’t me either. I shot some 175gr FGGM and ended up with this:

C0F4AB7A-62C3-4D36-879C-E45519F3D7FA.jpeg

Only thing I know to try is seating them out further into the lands and increasing the charge. 

People rave about them, but I have to say I’m not impressed. 

I wish I woulda kept the data now! I have a Hornady OAL gage and thingy that goes on a set of calipers to measure from the ogive. It's helped a little in getting the length right.

Yeah, I remember when I was gonna borrow it. I was hell bent on using these stupid magazines. Oddly enough I don’t even use them. Detachable bottom metal on a bolt gun is unbelievably overrated. If for some reason I ever do another I won’t bother

I was reading earlier and most were in agreement to seat them long. Mine were at 2.8 for magazine feeding reasons. I did a rough measure and got 2.89 I think it was with .020 jump. I’d have to measure again. 

That was just pinching a projectile into the case and cycling it through. 

8 hours ago, Etho said:

Yeah, I remember when I was gonna borrow it. I was hell bent on using these stupid magazines. Oddly enough I don’t even use them. Detachable bottom metal on a bolt gun is unbelievably overrated. If for some reason I ever do another I won’t bother

I kinda like the DBM on the ruger precision rifle, but with that, it's the looks. Anything else wouldn't look right on it.

8 hours ago, Etho said:

I kinda like the DBM on the ruger precision rifle, but with that, it's the looks. Anything else wouldn't look right on it.

I use 20's for everything AR related. Anything longer is a pain to load and maneuver around when shooting any position but standing for me. I got rid of just about all the 30 round mags I had.

I have a bunch of 30s but only use 20s. Got in that habit from work. Trying to carry a 30 on a gun belt is a pain in the ass. 

I've got some 208s I'm gonna try. I know 8541 tactical has had good luck loading to mag length with the 178 a-max which is basically the same as the eld-m Idk if he's done much the eld yet. I need to shoot up all my 168s ive got and try to remember which ones are the 175 s cause my savage wont shoot less than an inch with 168s. 

All my 308s have loved 4064 give that a shot. Ive got some varget I'm gonna try once I shoot up all ive got loaded but I've got 4 pounds of 4064 cause it's my go to for 243 as well so not in any big hurry

I think it's my powder thrower dad has a Redding bench mounted one and it works fine. I'm gonna get a single stage and powder thrower for my 308 and 243 loads