Sign in to follow this  
Several

A few shots from the new rig.

They look pretty good, especially if that was a simple editor. I haven't looked at that editor yet, having just got my iPad about a week ago.

I'm guessing it's safe to assume you can't do something like tweak filter sets with a channel mixer in the iPad editor?

No it's pretty basic, adjust contrast brightness etc, there's a few filters you can use but they're pretty crap.

i have photoshop elements, but I need to get a computer which is a pain because I was really hoping my next big purchase would be a 24-70 L IS USM MK2.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:33 PM, Several said:

No it's pretty basic, adjust contrast brightness etc, there's a few filters you can use but they're pretty crap.

i have photoshop elements, but I need to get a computer which is a pain because I was really hoping my next big purchase would be a 24-70 L IS USM MK2.

That's  an outstanding lens.

Versatile as piss on a full frame, and on any of the smaller (APS-C) sensors it's a pretty damn good portrait zoom. 

I'd get the lens first if you can get a deal on it. You can go back and edit stuff once you pick up (or build) a computer.

8 hours ago, Janitor said:

That's  an outstanding lens.

Versatile as piss on a full frame, and on any of the smaller (APS-C) sensors it's a pretty damn good portrait zoom. 

I'd get the lens first if you can get a deal on it. You can go back and edit stuff once you pick up (or build) a computer.

Do you have a 24-70mk2?  I've handled one and felt like a fucking barbell, Christ they're heavy lense but yes they are nothing short of fantastic.

5 hours ago, Several said:

Do you have a 24-70mk2?  I've handled one and felt like a fucking barbell, Christ they're heavy lense but yes they are nothing short of fantastic.

Actually no. I've used the gen 1 version of the lens on a shoot and fell in love.

And you're right - it's a lot of weight/size to haul around. For that reason I ended up with the 24-105/4 lens. I was already carrying around the 70-200/2.8, and thought that enough was enough when it came to weight. The extra reach was handy too - more notably because I was using a full frame body. But it's not as good a lens as the 24-70 is.

I still have both of those lenses, and to tell the truth still love the 24-105/4. It's usually on one of the bodies.

Yeah the 24-105 is a very popular workhorse, I don't think I've seen a 2.8F version of it though which is a shame as it'd be a great walk around lense.

10 minutes ago, Several said:

Yeah the 24-105 is a very popular workhorse, I don't think I've seen a 2.8F version of it though which is a shame as it'd be a great walk around lense.

If it was a 2.8, it might not be as popular as it is. The 4.0  feels a lot smaller/lighter than the 24-70/2.8.

Actually, I use it as a walk around lens and love it. I never worry about a shortened DOF in a wide angle, and for portraits @ 105mm one less stop isn't that bad.

In the interest of full disclosure though,  I've got portrait lenses like the 70-200/2.8 & the 135/2.0 so I'm not really missing out by carrying the 4.0. Actually, it's somewhat because of those two lenses I have the 24-105. I didn't want to add the weight of the 24-70 to an already quite heavy camera bag.

Speaking of camera bags I just ordered another as the old bag just wasn't big enough with a full frame body and a 300mm lens, I got a Burton F Stop bag, pretty pricey but it's got tons of room and is really well made.

Very nice!

I actually have a Burton backpack that I like quite a bit that I got a couple years ago. The only thing that really bothers me about it is the "waist" belt rides high, just at the bottom edge of my rib cage. It's more than a little uncomfortable and fairly useless because of it. Well - that waist belt, and how damn heavy the bag can get when I put too mucn into it.  :)

In spite of the waist belt issue, I think that it's a pretty nice bag. 

Unfortunately, all the photos/etc of it were gone from the site when the site itself was nuked by some asshammer. I'll post them again when I get home.

I've got a largish pile of camera bags in all sorts of sizes. More and more I find myself planning my trips out as best I can to minimize what I bring along, and part of that is to select the smallest bag I can for the occasion.

It's why I'm (ever so slowly) moving away from the big Canon DSLRs to the Micro 4/3rds format.

I have that very backpack, and you can put a TON of stuff in it.  And that is why I don't use it much.  I will overload it everytime, and I end up having to tote that beast around with me.  I only use it if I am moving a lot of gear to one place or another.  I don't use it for photowalks or casual shooting where I may only want a couple of lenses and a speedlight/flash (and an extra battery and memory cards).  But it is a fantastic bag.   I have the same issue with the waist belt that Janitor stated.   I also had a review of the bag with lots of pics that got nuked when the site went down.  

While I use a different brand, I have a 24-70mm lens on my camera, and it is probably my most used lens.  But like yours, it has some heft to it.  It is my best all-around lens.  If I need/want to just pick up my camera and start shooting, that is the lens that I use (which is why it is usually on my camera).  I only switch it out if I need something for specific situations like shooting at longer ranges or a fisheye lens for a weird shot or a macro, etc.