Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Hoity-toity fancy O/U

Sort of. This was actually given to me back in October, but being on campus in California, I didn't really have a chance to check it out. This belonged to my Mom's uncle (my great uncle?) who passed a little over a year ago as a result of being incredibly old: 89. He did some time in the Navy back in the 40s, but spent his life as a psychiatrist in California, which is why everyone was surprised when they found this. My (great?) Aunt decided it should go to me. A Savage 24H-DL. This is special for a couple reason. The first and most obvious, is that it's freaking awesome. 20ga/.22lr over under. A little tab on the hammer lets you select which barrel to fire. 18", with rifle sites. The second reason this is special, is my brother has one that belonged to our dad. When the folks moved to Cali, my Dad split his guns up between us, and my brother got that one. His is a little older; blued receiver, and the release is on the side, rather than the spine. So, for another one to pop up and end up in my possession is super cool. Can't wait to actually get to go shoot it. The third reason this is special, is it has cutesy little engravings of the animals most suited to be killed with this thing. :bellylaf:

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

• Like 1

I’m excited. I know they’re out there, but the only other one I’ve ever seen is my dad’s. They they both had them is kinda wild. 

30 minutes ago, JRed said:

I’m excited. I know they’re out there, but the only other one I’ve ever seen is my dad’s. They they both had them is kinda wild. 

Gotta get that story out of him.

5 hours ago, JRed said:

That’s what I was thinking. Your dad and your mom’s uncle had the same rifle. Wait, is your family from Arkansas? Kidding. 

But yeah, that’s awesome to keep both of those guns in the family. 

10 minutes ago, Drck said:

That’s what I was thinking. Your dad and your mom’s uncle had the same rifle. Wait, is your family from Arkansas? Kidding. 

But yeah, that’s awesome to keep both of those guns in the family. 

I'll have to ask him, but I'm pretty sure my dad got his from his uncle. Which would be even weirder. 

Just viewed on a computer and not my phone.  Could get a better look at the gun from the photos and that looks like a neat gun in great condition. 

9 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

Nice...a guy down the road has one of those. His is....well let's say it's well worn and broken in.xD

That makes three that I know of!

Those are some really cool guns.  A friend of mine had one that was .22 over .410, all blued (no engraving etc.) and he racked up lots of squirrels with that thing.  That's a very nice one you have there, you'll enjoy it very much.

22 hours ago, KZero said:

Those are some really cool guns.  A friend of mine had one that was .22 over .410, all blued (no engraving etc.) and he racked up lots of squirrels with that thing.  That's a very nice one you have there, you'll enjoy it very much.

I’ve heard of a few in the .410 variety. I wonder if those were more popular. 

21 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Those were the ones I was familiar with.

I’m sure they’re out there, but a .45lc/.410 O/U would probably be fun.