Sign in to follow this  
scotto

Upgrades to the scooter

Last fall, after getting back from Sturgis, I decided to treat my bike to a few upgrades. Got a new set of tires I replaced the motor mount and engine alinement turn buckle, installed a new Pingel fuel value, NOS lighted fender tips, NOS turn down mufflers and a tinted 10” windshield. 

Right after deer season I brought it to a guy I know that’s set up for engine rebuilding and had the top-end rebuilt, pistons, valves, guides, lifters, the works. Got it back last week and drove it home Runs like a dream.

Come Spring I plan on adding a lower Mustang seat and a lowering kit and drop the back about 3” and the front about 2”. 

Spring can’t get here soon enough!!

515A7CE6-A273-49C0-AD39-9C63A859C8C6.jpeg

1ABEB187-192A-4B7A-AA38-434F0580E83D.jpeg

02673731-6BF4-466F-A54F-93834B77699F.jpeg

B602917C-318E-4ABA-B7D4-77FBA3B6C624.jpeg

82BC757B-BC00-4D99-92F4-A36140AA8296.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

How's she run after the motor work?

Started up and ran great, I only drove it about a mile or so through town but could really tell the difference. I shut it off and started it a few time and all I had to do is just tap the starter and she fired right up.. Probably wont started it again till spring then do a easy break-in.  

2 minutes ago, JRed said:

Sweet! I’ll bet it does feel like a whole new machine 

From the little I drove it last week it sure does. I shut it off and started it a few times and I'll just tap the starter and she fires right up.. I'll have to be careful and take my time to break it in right.. 

29 minutes ago, scotto said:

From the little I drove it last week it sure does. I shut it off and started it a few times and I'll just tap the starter and she fires right up.. I'll have to be careful and take my time to break it in right.. 

What kind of break in schedule did they recommend? 

39 minutes ago, scotto said:

I believe the proper technique is don’t let the front wheel touch th ground. xD

Do you keep it on a battery tender? I’ve started doing that and it makes a huge difference in startup. 

8 minutes ago, JRed said:

Do you keep it on a battery tender? I’ve started doing that and it makes a huge difference in startup. 

Yeah, I use a tender every year and sta-bil in the gas. The battery tender also extends the life of the battery especially in extremely cold environments.

23 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

What kind of break in schedule did they recommend? 

I built two Harley motors back in the early 80’s, a  1976 Sportster 1000cc motor and a 1980 Electra Glide 80 inch motor. The 80” (1340cc) is same motor  motor I’m running now just a year newer, for break in I would very my speed being careful not to over rev the motor then change oil at around 200 miles. The mechanic that did this work for me said to change at 500 but what I think I’m going to do is use 20-50 wt at the beginning of The riding season because of the cooler weather then at around 200 or 300 miles or so switch to straight 50wt. 

3 hours ago, Drck said:

You should hit I-90, head west and visit Vic! Then back to east coast and try to find Josh. 

Got a comfy couch! Rest days are Mon and Tues, I'll call off a couple days too.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 1:45 PM, scotto said:

I built two Harley motors back in the early 80’s, a  1976 Sportster 1000cc motor and a 1980 Electra Glide 80 inch motor. The 80” (1340cc) is same motor  motor I’m running now just a year newer, for break in I would very my speed being careful not to over rev the motor then change oil at around 200 miles. The mechanic that did this work for me said to change at 500 but what I think I’m going to do is use 20-50 wt at the beginning of The riding season because of the cooler weather then at around 200 or 300 miles or so switch to straight 50wt. 

That sounds good.  You'll be chomping at the bit to get that puppy moving come warm weather.

43 degrees above zero today so I put on the new Mustang seat, gassed her up, and went for a ride..

I'm loving the seat I sit about 2" lower then with the stock seat.

new seat 1.jpg

new seat 2.jpg

13 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

Two inches can be pretty dramatic.  :cuteye:  Seriously, sitting at a light it cd be a lot more comfortable.  Nice you were able to get out so soon. 

I could have got the seat on-line but I wanted to do business local, thought it might cost a little more but they did the motor work  for me and its a good shop. Went in and ordered from them on Wednesday around 2pm and got a call the next day about the same time that it was in,,, wow fast!  Turns out not only was it the same price as what I could get it on line, cheaper really because  I didn't need to pay for shipping.

21 hours ago, scotto said:

I could have got the seat on-line but I wanted to do business local, thought it might cost a little more but they did the motor work  for me and its a good shop. Went in and ordered from them on Wednesday around 2pm and got a call the next day about the same time that it was in,,, wow fast!  Turns out not only was it the same price as what I could get it on line, cheaper really because  I didn't need to pay for shipping.

Perfect.  Worked out nice for you.

Can you tell any difference w/ the new rubber?

16 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Corbin. Your ass will thank you

2 hours ago, FinFan77 said:

Agree.  Worth the price. 

I don’t think a full leather seat is something I want when it hits 110 degrees. xD And for that price, I can get a Kontour. Talked to a few people who have them and gotten to see a couple. They’re semi-custom built and use a funky breathable/cooling foam.  

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Danatkins said:

Corbin. Your ass will thank you

Corbin seats for the older Tour glide's are 1983 - 1996 FLH / FLT only and mines a 1981 model. Other then having a custom seat made Mustang was the only aftermarket seat out there for my year bike. Same goes with the windshield.. 

10 minutes ago, scotto said:

Corbin seats for the older Tour glide's are 1983 - 1996 FLH / FLT only and mines a 1981 model. Other then having a custom seat made Mustang was the only aftermarket seat out there for my year bike. Same goes with the windshield.. 

I had no idea it was that old. It’s in great shape. 

21 hours ago, scotto said:

That was aimed at Red. Buddy of mine has a Mustang on his Vulcan he's put like 80k or something like that on that dam thing since he bought it in I think 09

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Janitor said:

Can't believe I've so totally missed this thread.

Bike's looking great Scotto.

We should think about going on a serious ride this summer.

Thanks, spring cant get here soon enough! I stuck some money into this bike but don't ever plan on selling it, made that mistake once never again.. I'm all most done with what I want to do with the it, the saddle bags need some work and I got an electrical issue with my left turn signal and a few other miner issues but the bike is 37 years old so that's to be expected.  I'm still thinking about lowering it but will wait until I try out this new seat, I'm also thinking about painting the whole bike at some point. I decided to keep that big ham can air filter it gives the bike that old original look and it's kind of grown on me.  I remember when these Tour glides first came out I was riding a Electra glide at the time and thought these FLT's looked ugly with the dual headlights and frame mounted fairing, love the look now funny how tastes change.  

ETA: Love to go on a ride this summer sometime.  

Edited by scotto

IMO - you're making a lot of good design choices. Love the 'Glide' fairing and lights, and love that you kept that bigass air cleaner on there.

A ride would be good. We'll have to come up with something - if the force is with me I'll have the summer off.

And the fall.

And next winter.

Etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Agreed Etho really wish the newer Roadglides weren't so fucking pricey they handle better than their fork mounted fairing brethren. 

Harley’s in general are crazy expensive new. Get so much more from Japanese. 

22 hours ago, Etho said:

Harley’s in general are crazy expensive new. Get so much more from Japanese. 

Very true but I know all the HD motors except the new touring bike and the little liquid cooled 500 and 750 inside and out so if something goes wrong I can fix it. Wasn't for the fact of pushrod motors being easier to work on I'd get a vtx1300 or the Yamaha equivalent

53 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

Very true but I know all the HD motors except the new touring bike and the little liquid cooled 500 and 750 inside and out so if something goes wrong I can fix it. Wasn't for the fact of pushrod motors being easier to work on I'd get a vtx1300 or the Yamaha equivalent

That’s the beauty of Japanese bikes, they rarely break down. Although HD is tons better than they use to  be. My dads shovel head was broke more than it ran it seemed. He finally gave up and went back to Japanese when they started making cruisers.