Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Big Bear Lake

I figured if Scotto can go ride his bike in the arctic, I could take mine out for spin even though it was a brisk 85 degrees. xD

At least, it was down here. I went up to Big Bear Lake, and then down the back way to Redlands. At the highest elevation-about 8500 feet-it was 41 degrees. There was a bit of snow in the shade in the mountains but the roads were dry and the weather was fantastic. Traffic coming back down the 330 looked awful and was actually stopped in a few places for no apparent reason. Going up was good, though I did pass a sign at the bottom of the mountains that said all vehicles were required to have chains, no exceptions. Obviously that wouldn't apply to me. :) Got stuck behind a couple small strings of cars, but a lot of people moved over or used turn outs when I came up on them, which was cool. I've never had that many people let me by.

Big Bear Lake was not too busy. Lots of people on the shoulder of the road having snowball fights. The village was winding down since everyone was apparently headed back to LA, but I chatted with a couple people who wished they were out riding. Before heading down the back way on CA-38, I took a look at my chain since I'm a little past the milage I normally get. Dry as bone, despite having been cleaned and waxed 300 miles earlier (the stuff I use usually lasts 500 miles), had a few kinks, and was spitting split o-rings out all over the place. Yikes. Got a bottle of multipurpose oil and wiped it down before heading off.

Heading down was a blast. First you head up and over Onyx pass, which was super fun if not a little chilly, and then it's long sweeps and narrow twists 3000 feet down. Got some great turns in, and eventually ran into traffic but was able to sneak past eventually. Only been down that road a handful of times and it is great. Need to hit it during the middle of the week so I can learn too late where my limit is. xD Total ride was ~130 miles and maybe 2.5 hours of actual time on the bike. Good times. I need a new chain.

5a6ec63e70a56_BigBearLoop.thumb.png.5392b4825f047c06ffaa7863d3c93ee0.png

4 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

You're leading the life.....all that spur of the moment crap will stop once you're married so enjoy it while you can!!:bellylaf:

So many of the friends I grew up with are married now, and they’re all getting fat and don’t do anything. I’ve never been so happy to be single. xD

51 minutes ago, dbinthecountry said:

That's some pretty country. Looks fun.

It’s gorgeous, and I love watching the climate change riding up in the mountains. We’ve had a couple days of strong winds so the air is a lot clearer than usual. 

8 hours ago, JRed said:

So many of the friends I grew up with are married now, and they’re all getting fat and don’t do anything. I’ve never been so happy to be single. xD

My son didn't get married till he was 33...best thing he every did in his life. He waited, had fun and married the sweetest girl you can imagine. Looks...educated...likes the outdoors and shooting. I'm not sure he deserves her.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

My son didn't get married till he was 33...best thing he every did in his life. He waited, had fun and married the sweetest girl you can imagine. Looks...educated...likes the outdoors and shooting. I'm not sure he deserves her.:lol:

Damn. Does she have a younger sister?

On 1/29/2018 at 7:45 PM, Gran Torino said:

Nice that he got a good one on his first try. 

I had to take a mulligan. 

4 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

I wasn't even that close.:bellylaf:

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

She does actually....beautiful lass. Just nuttier than a fruitcake.

Well, I am a Californian now, so maybe...

Nope. Nope nope nope.