JRed

St George, Utah

Took a few (3.5) days of my spring break to go do some hiking. I was originally planning on heading to Escalante, but when I got to St. George the forecast was still saying snow. Since hiking in canyons as snow is melting is really not fun, I decided to hang out and hike around the Southwest corner of Utah for a little bit. I love the town, and would love to move there, but I hadn't really explored around there too much. Got to do 3 main hikes, and few little short jaunts here and there.

Hike 1 was up CottonWood Canyon. Despite its name, I think I only counted 3 cottonwoods. Which is a shame, because they're beautiful trees against red sandstone. Still, the canyon was nice. St. George is different from my normal canyon experiences of Escalante, Moab, Canyonlands, etc in that they're typically not too deep, and the bottoms are very rocky rather than smoothed out. Starts out on the lowlands and moves in, had a great view of the mountains. It's an 8 mile long canyon, with a road at the top so if you had a group, you could shuttle and just hike one way. I didn't, so up and down it was.

Recent snow, that killed my original trip.

IMG_4001.thumb.jpg.46f15cfc191fe78e3cfd818a29dd9ca1.jpg

Typical canyon bottom conditions. Can be more or less rocky, and guaranteed to murder your feet after a few days.

IMG_4009.thumb.jpg.727b680ed497ffba56ec25512de06f64.jpg

Big ole hunk of awesome

IMG_4010.thumb.jpg.7230d230c2b15ce7871ce3868812836e.jpg

I just like this place.

IMG_4022.thumb.jpg.54353b4ac94ce6f1c82415a390e97bb0.jpg

The second hike was in Water Canyon in the Red Cliffs Preserve. Popular area, but the trail doesn't even go a mile before it ends in short slot with a deep wade, so people just stop there. Of course I climbed up and around and got a couple more miles up the canyon. Eventually stopped because I kept having to climb around pools, and it was getting to the point where if I got hurt, it would be a very bad day. Very cool, and I intend to return to this one with some people. There's a hike up another canyon that ends in this one that looks like a great time.

These are from the lower area, easy access.

IMG_4047.thumb.jpg.117b0c425698a273f241724aa01a5663.jpg

IMG_4052.thumb.jpg.ccc367ceffaeaf3310ae9159061b5da4.jpg

End of the road. You could swim it if it was warmer, but it wasn't.

IMG_4060.thumb.jpg.84883a0d08f4f3ae984996b348d2bd6b.jpg

Up and around turned out to be not very strait forward.

IMG_4064.thumb.jpg.d02b7b2fd9834d664051bc4039231d79.jpg

But I got there, and it was fantastic.

IMG_4069.thumb.jpg.07b5729e37bbedc39e8c38b6b109d0c1.jpg

IMG_4074.thumb.jpg.8f39ab44b7fa260134ff92e793491ed3.jpg

IMG_4075.thumb.jpg.e03e8f75085b5a1396313aaa8767a0ec.jpg

Spent some time just reading by the stream until it was time to head back.

IMG_4082.thumb.jpg.5b11e33152f90815ce0efd8287c81a5b.jpg

Hike 3 was up Washington Hollow. I wouldn't recommend it. It was extremely rocky, and pretty roughly defined as far as canyons go. It split off into some slots 6 miles in, but they were all pretty choked with rockfall, and it wasn't something I was going to do solo. Pretty area, but definitely not the coolest canyon. Still. Some cool features.

IMG_4090.thumb.jpg.51371b9fe37b5663fdbc53bb77b03cd0.jpg

IMG_4093.thumb.jpg.a6a17a508c43bbee43459ec2c1e6cc56.jpg

IMG_4099.thumb.jpg.5c2bf114471cb62e325d507520e660e5.jpg

One of the forks at the top. That rockfall is about 20ft tall, and said "Don't go this way without other people"

IMG_4102.thumb.jpg.68823125fa15b83f466b6f1f1e4f255f.jpg

So I climbed up to a little outcropping and had lunch instead.

IMG_4107.thumb.jpg.94d47bf6ae41ba211491dc8ae98614af.jpg

Great trip, lots of fun. Didn't do any riding videos since it was just interstate, and windy interstate at that. Had good weather Monday through Wednesday, and then came back in the rain. And now I've just been doing homework for the past few days, wondering why in the hell I gave up doing this stuff for an engineering degree. Dumb.

Very nice.  Would be risky cutting a track or your own aye.   Could disapper for ever and never be found. 

2 hours ago, Meke said:

Very nice.  Would be risky cutting a track or your own aye.   Could disapper for ever and never be found. 

It’s not hard to navigate canyon areas, but if you get hurt and nobody knows where you are, you’re fucked. No cell reception in canyons, and usually no satellite  reception either. 

Those are some awesome pics! 

How's the cell coverage?  Other than the canyons?  As in if you had folks with you, they'd just need to get high enough to call for help.

1 hour ago, Drck said:

How's the cell coverage?  Other than the canyons?  As in if you had folks with you, they'd just need to get high enough to call for help.

Also i would advise jred to wear a blue beanie in the event he became lost .His shock of  red hair would make him impossible to see amonst all that redish coloured rock. He would be like a chameleon amonst that lot. :D

1 hour ago, Drck said:

St George is pretty civilized for Utah desert, so I got service most times I climbed out of the canyons, or even partway up. And then my phone would blow up with texts. xD

20 minutes ago, Meke said:

Also i would advise jred to wear a blue beanie in the event he became lost .His shock of  red hair would make him impossible to see amonst all that redish coloured rock. He would be like a chameleon amonst that lot. :D

My daypack is bright blue, for pretty much that exact reason. :bellylaf:

2 hours ago, Danatkins said:

I've driven through the gorge out there many times it's beautiful country. Didn't know that canyon was that big though

By the gorge do you mean that chunk of the 15 in Arizona? Cause that’s a cool section of road  

And which canyon? There’s a lot of them. xD

Thanks for posting, those are some gorgeous pics. 

On 3/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, Meke said:

Yeah, it wd be so damn easy to kiss the pooch in a place like that. 

On 4/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, JRed said:

By the gorge do you mean that chunk of the 15 in Arizona? Cause that’s a cool section of road  

And which canyon? There’s a lot of them. xD

Yeah the part on the AZ/UT border 

I meant the one you drive through thought maybe it was connected