Sign in to follow this  
Drck

AK47 Project

Finally getting around to an AK project that I had planned years ago. 

Base gun is a Hungarian FEG SA-85 that I picked up from a friend who got it in an estate sale.  Condition appears to be unfired.  I was looking for a decent, but inexpensive stamped AK to start a project with and this gun was offered at a good price. 

The same gun in this video:

I had thought about keeping as-is as I've heard that this style of gun can be collectible, but the current going rate isn't that high, so I decided to go ahead with the mods. 

What I currently have on hand or ordered:

SLR Rifleworks 11.5" Keymod handguard with gas block picatinny rail
VLTOR AR15/M4 buttstock
Larue low mount for Aimpoint Micro

Will likely get some sort of AR style pistol grip and I'm thinking a B5 stock.

I would eventually like to have the muzzle threaded for a comp.  Comps I'm currently considering are the BattleComp (little pricey though) and the SLR Synergy Comp AK.  I might just try the gun as-is for a little while as well. 

I just ordered the handguard, so hopefully will have it in about a week or so.  That's the main component that I need to get this project really going. 

Open to suggestions for muzzle device, pistol grip and buttstock. 

• Like 1

Man, it’s your rifle. But “ARifying” an AK is just wrong. 

There are some decent options out there nowadays for AK stocks. The Magpul Zhukov is nice and I’ve got an MOE stock and grip on mine. Like them both. There’s another one that’s adjustable but I cannot remember who makes it off hand. My brother in law has one on one of his I believe.

Edited by Etho

I would suggest threading it in a standard ar15 thread.  1/2 28 i think it is.  The original thread is 14mm left i think. Might be wrong on that.

That way you can share your  ak muzzle parts with your ar15.   i wouldn't swap the other way going from 20 cal to a 30 cal hole. 

I kept a hougue ak grip on mine.  Only cause i cant find where i put the long bolt bit that goes in the original pistol grip. but they are nice grips.

Edited by Meke

22 minutes ago, Etho said:

Man, it’s your rifle. But “ARifying” an AK is just wrong. 

There are some decent options out there nowadays for AK stocks. The Magpul Zhukov is nice and I’ve got an MOE stock and grip on mine. Like them both. There’s another one that’s adjustable but I cannot remember who makes it off hand. My brother in law has one on one of his I believe.

I have an Arsenal milled AK that I'm keeping as-is.  Just that performance wise, I essentially want to add a red dot on the AK.  One of the shortcomings of the design, at least in my mind is the low cheek weld that goes along with the original stock. 

I never thought of "ARifying" the AK.  Just making changes on to what I see will make the gun more "me friendly".  To me, one of the main things I like about the AK is cheap and readily available ammo. 

2 minutes ago, Meke said:

I would suggest threading it in a standard ar15 thread.  1/2 28 i think it is.  The original thread is 14mm left i think. Might be wrong on that.

That way you can share your  ak muzzle parts with your ar15.   i wouldn't swap the other way going from 20 cal to a 30 cal hole. 

I kept a hougue ak grip on mine.  Only cause i cant find where i put the long bolt bit that goes in the original pistol grip. but they are nice grips.

I'm going with the LH 14x1.  Staying with "standard AK" in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Drck said:

I answered the previous post before watching the video. I didnt know it came with that goofy thumbhole looking stock.  yeah change that ugly motherfucker.  Throw a side folder on it.  One that hinges to the left so you can fire it collapsed.  Under folder you will need to change the back trunion and square up the back reciever a bit. Plus drill holes.

5 minutes ago, Drck said:

ow come on man!   Get stuck in and really modify it. 

You know what would be a really good idea.  keep the stock thats on it but cut out the bottom thumb bit. That way you will still have a solid one piece pistol and stock set up a.nd with a bit of sandpaper and file work will look like a standard ak.    It will be stronger than a regular ak stock. Those things are weak when side pressure is applied.

1 hour ago, Drck said:

I have an Arsenal milled AK that I'm keeping as-is.  Just that performance wise, I essentially want to add a red dot on the AK.  One of the shortcomings of the design, at least in my mind is the low cheek weld that goes along with the original stock. 

I never thought of "ARifying" the AK.  Just making changes on to what I see will make the gun more "me friendly".  To me, one of the main things I like about the AK is cheap and readily available ammo. 

My brother in law has one with a red dot and a Zhukov and I don’t notice any problems. 

But like I said and of course you already know....your rifle to do as you want ?

1 hour ago, Meke said:

You know what would be a really good idea.  keep the stock thats on it but cut out the bottom thumb bit. That way you will still have a solid one piece pistol and stock set up a.nd with a bit of sandpaper and file work will look like a standard ak.    It will be stronger than a regular ak stock. Those things are weak when side pressure is applied.

AKs have gotten so popular that they make quite a few options nowadays in 14x1 LH

12 minutes ago, Etho said:

My brother in law has one with a red dot and a Zhukov and I don’t notice any problems. 

But like I said and of course you already know....your rifle to do as you want ?

Ahh. I meant with the standard sloped AK stock. With the hand guard I’m going with and Aimpoint on low mount, the standard AK stock might be ok. But when I tried before with a red dot at absolute co-witness height, it was more of a chin-weld than cheek weld. 

1 hour ago, Meke said:

Haha. I don’t want to “bubba” this wood stock. 

13 minutes ago, Drck said:

Ahh. I meant with the standard sloped AK stock. With the hand guard I’m going with and Aimpoint on low mount, the standard AK stock might be ok. But when I tried before with a red dot at absolute co-witness height, it was more of a chin-weld than cheek weld. 

Nah, the newer stocks usually do a straight comb like an AR just it’s meant for an AK as opposed to adapted. 

12 minutes ago, Etho said:

Nah, the newer stocks usually do a straight comb like an AR just it’s meant for an AK as opposed to adapted. 

I meant the stock that my Arsenal AK came with. It’s definitely sloped. Good for the iron sights, but not for anything much higher. At least IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Drck said:

I meant the stock that my Arsenal AK came with. It’s definitely sloped. Good for the iron sights, but not for anything much higher. At least IMO. 

Nah, I agree. AK ergos are pretty awful.

Well, delivery update on the rail is Sat at 8 pm, so probably won't be doing that this weekend.  Also, no idea where my optic mount is after UPS "handed it off" to USPS over a week ago. 

Been looking at other gear as well.  For ARs, I have multiple belts set up with mag pouches.  Maybe one of those can fit AK mags.  Been looking at chest rigs for the AK mags. 

Shot the AK project for some drills in the carbine class yesterday.  It was a drill with multi-round transitions to various targets on a VTAC target. Anyways, after about 2 and a half mags, so around 70-80 rounds, the handguard was so hot that it was painful to hold, even with gloves on.  If I had to shoot more, I would have had to hold the mag. 

The AK is still quite foreign to me.  I mean I know how to do stuff like mag changes and stuff, but I find myself having to think my way through it. 

20 minutes ago, JRed said:

Was it a hot day? That doesn’t seem like a lot of rounds for that much heat. 

It was pretty hot, but not enough to bake the hand guard that much. It was little cloudy, but humid mid to high 80s. 

I’ve shot my Arsenal AK woh plastic furniture and after about 60 rounds in a few minutes, it was uncomfortable to handle without gloves. 

I don’t envision needing to fire like that outside of a training class. If I were to ever need to shoot more than a mag or two, I’m in deep shit and would have to find a way to make it work. That said, I dunno how those Hajis do it. O.o 

24 minutes ago, Drck said:

It was pretty hot, but not enough to bake the hand guard that much. It was little cloudy, but humid mid to high 80s. 

I’ve shot my Arsenal AK woh plastic furniture and after about 60 rounds in a few minutes, it was uncomfortable to handle without gloves. 

I don’t envision needing to fire like that outside of a training class. If I were to ever need to shoot more than a mag or two, I’m in deep shit and would have to find a way to make it work. That said, I dunno how those Hajis do it. O.o 

Opium. Maybe you should try that. xD

It vents the gas on the hand guards. So that hot that fast doesn’t surprise me at all. People can talk shit on the AR all day for being DI and it being filthy. It isn’t untrue at all, but that handguard doesn’t get uncomfortable to hold until a few hundred rounds either. Enough lube fixes the filthy part and I can always clean. I can’t change where gas vents or fix blistered hands.l easily. 

5 minutes ago, Etho said:

It vents the gas on the hand guards. So that hot that fast doesn’t surprise me at all. People can talk shit on the AR all day for being DI and it being filthy. It isn’t untrue at all, but that handguard doesn’t get uncomfortable to hold until a few hundred rounds either. Enough lube fixes the filthy part and I can always clean. I can’t change where gas vents or fix blistered hands.l easily. 

Yeah, I could definitely see signs of the venting. The rail also takes the place of the gas block, so I expected that to get pretty hot. 

Yeah, in similar pace of firing with AR, the barrel was getting hot for sure, but not uncomfortable with gloves on. Think would have been slightly u comfortable without gloves, but manageable. The AK was to the point where my hands were red and basically said “Fuck this” and went back to the AR. 

16 minutes ago, Drck said:

Yeah, I could definitely see signs of the venting. The rail also takes the place of the gas block, so I expected that to get pretty hot. 

Yeah, in similar pace of firing with AR, the barrel was getting hot for sure, but not uncomfortable with gloves on. Think would have been slightly u comfortable without gloves, but manageable. The AK was to the point where my hands were red and basically said “Fuck this” and went back to the AR. 

I’ve never shot mine enough to get bothered by it, same with my FAL. But I’ve shot them enough to see it could be a serious problem. 

On 7/15/2018 at 4:14 PM, Etho said:

I’ve never shot mine enough to get bothered by it, same with my FAL. But I’ve shot them enough to see it could be a serious problem. 

I've shot my Arsenal AK with stock plastic furniture to the point where it was uncomfortable to handle without gloves.  That was a while ago, but I want to say something like 60 rounds in a few minutes.  So not that much, at least in a class context for sure. 

I'm thinking about putting on a shorty vertical grip.  I have them on my ARs and use as a handstop.  Figured would be the same for the AK, but can also be used as a vertical grip when the rail gets so hot that I can't hold it without burning by damn hands off. 

7 minutes ago, JRed said:

You missed all the red dots 😄

😂

Couldn’t see them from that far 😩

11 hours ago, Bob said:

So how are you mounting the red dot, and what dot did you go with?

Aimpoint T-1 on SLR handguard with pic rail on gas block. 

Here’s a pic of the old handguard, but the dot and mount are same. 

B7FED4D3-465F-4626-90EA-EDDA0598CAEC.jpeg