Sign in to follow this  
Meke

Torch recomendations.

So i am in need of a decent handheld light. I've had many at one stage but they seem to be borrowed by friends and family and never make there way back home.  Looking towards the cree led type as i have a bit of fancy for the cree's.  Any ways, lights seem to change and update in a few short years and theres got to be some good ones new to the market since i last purchased.

After something physically large in the hand as  8-12 inch long sort of thing, something thats hard to misplace. What are y'all using thats decent. Wouldnt mind a beam that can reach out 100 meters and light up a man size object clearly..

1 hour ago, Etho said:

Streamlight SL20L

Not a bad light. its the shape and size im after. Not a bad price too.

32 minutes ago, Meke said:

Not a bad light. its the shape and size im after. Not a bad price too.

It’s what I used on patrol for almost 10 years. Unbelievably tough. The SL20 set a standard in flashlights for LE by which all are still judged. I know guys who have them that are 20 years old and still work fine. The LED models are bright as hell. Rechargeable too. 

I have a bunch of Surefires and Streamlight. For the money, I really like Streamlights for handhelds. I have Surefires for lights on guns, but I’d use Streamlight as well if I needed another. 

Okay, Im seriously going to buy one of these  sl20l lights. Amazon says it ships my way and is free shipping?!   So we shall see.

Streamlight is good stuff. I have an old Surefire E1B that I haven’t been able to kill, but those are $$$. 

16 minutes ago, JRed said:

Streamlight is good stuff. I have an old Surefire E1B that I haven’t been able to kill, but those are $$$. 

Yeah, Surefire is pricey for sure. I have a bunch of handhelds too and they are super durable. Then again, I haven’t busted a Streamlight either. 

The one im buying now is 110 bucks. not sure if its my currency or yank dollars. I assume its mine as amazon seem to know what area my ip address is etc. Just trying to scrounge a few coupon codes of the net to try get it  cheaper.

That’s with a charger right? They won’t take normal batteries and must have the charger. Normally they’re around $150 with the charger.

Surefire isn’t bad but they’ve been passed up by the durability:power:dollar train that’s full of companies. Streamlight is still the best bang for the buck in my opinion. 

They, Surefire, are still riding on their early to mid 2000s wave and are getting left behind. 

Edited by Etho

10 hours ago, Etho said:

That’s with a charger right? They won’t take normal batteries and must have the charger. Normally they’re around $150 with the charger.

Yes, charger ,light , batteries and a belt clip . It was $160 nz delivered. Still looking for other sources as the amazon conversion rate is  1 us dollar = 1.46 kiwi dollars.  So the sl20l on amazon is 90 us bucks free delivery but thats for us domestic customers. I still think its a resonable price.   Just will check if paypal do a better exchange rate than visa.

Oh and the belt clip, not sure what they’re selling with it, but it needs a ring not a clip. It weighs ever bit of a pound or more. I don’t think a clip will work so well. 

When i ordered the light the exchange rate had gone  1usd  - to  1.44nz.   A $2.50 saving  my end.  Cool.

350 Lumens, right?

I have an HL-X and it’s 750 lumens. I’ve had it outside only a coupel times, but haven’t really tested the throw. It will light up my living room pretty good though since I have a light color ceiling. 

My buddy bought one of those 20,000 lumens one, or something ridiculous like that. It could light up homes probably 1000 yards away. O.o 

I have million candle power spotlights and other chinese bright lights. The main reason i was after a weighty type torch apart from the light use was to wrap it around someones teeth if they are caught messing around next door at the school. Its a kind of a grey area when using weapons over here and self defence  stuff . Like if iheard a noise and went over there with a torch and cricket bat its kinda hard to explain that one away.  But with a torch / club its kind of easier. Plus its for the missus really as the security lights between the house and the schools security lights dont over lap too well. When it arrives i'll act all naieve and say hto her  ' will be able to crack someone with it sort of thing"  without giving away my true intentions.

Yeah. The old school MagLites were good for that application. I still have a couple and they seemed like good lights back in the day. But with all the high lumen ought some now, they aren’t anything. I think maybe 40 lumens. 

The SL20Ls are very bright and intense beam. Not much spill at all. There are brighter but there aren’t tougher. 

So tracking has in Hebron kentucky on 21st and now chicargo illinoise on 28th. Thats 7 days to get there so far which leaves  5 days left to get here.  Hmm i  dont think so.

10 hours ago, Meke said:

So tracking has in Hebron kentucky on 21st and now chicargo illinoise on 28th. Thats 7 days to get there so far which leaves  5 days left to get here.  Hmm i  dont think so.

I’ve had stuff start in CA and then head east to TN. Then get stalled there and then make its ways back west to HI. Ok, I get that there are shipping networks and hubs and such, but Hays just stupid. Especially when it makes it to a CA hub from the TN hub. 

Ive had this sl20l for 6 nights now and am very impressed with it.  The leght of it as actually quite comfortable to hold when shooting with a rifle. I rest the rifle on my forearm  and hold the torch at 90 degrees. kinda how like cops do with a hand gun in the movies, Works well without needing to attach it.

Two others are impressed with it and have taken its details down to order one for themselves off ebay.

Im using it with a magtech semiauto suppressed shooting a mix of subsonics and tracer 22lr.  just replaced the red dot scope battery as it was getting too dim to see at night and invisible during daylight hours.

More as a flood/spot light.  One thing i have noticed with the led bulb thingy is the eyes dont reflect back red as with normal halogen lights. Could be cause im very close to the target.  Havn't really spotted critters at anything over 50 meters. The light turn night into day up too 100 meters easy. May test it on cows at 200 plus meters. They normally reflect green eyes back so we shall see.

Edited by Meke

Using it to shoot = weapon light. 

Hmm that’s interesting about the animals. Wonder if it’s because it’s so bright.