Sign in to follow this  
Drck

Kilauea

4 hours ago, vic_b said:

Until it blows like mt. St. Helens then you’re all fucked. 

There’s already a large open crater. The volcano has been erupting for a while. Not an explosive cap like Mt. St. Helens. 

4 hours ago, Drck said:

There’s already a large open crater. The volcano has been erupting for a while. Not an explosive cap like Mt. St. Helens. 

Not yet xD

Couple of big quakes today. I was at a property for a shooting class. The ground was rolling and shaking really good. Think one was a 6.9. The place I was staying at is at the Kilauea National Park. They closed the park due to the seismic activity.  Well, that includes the cottages as well. No damage, but they didn’t want guests going hiking around the crater and possible getting hurt. Luckily I am able to stay with a friend tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Drck said:

Couple of big quakes today. I was at a property for a shooting class. The ground was rolling and shaking really good. Think one was a 6.9. The place I was staying at is at the Kilauea National Park. They closed the park due to the seismic activity.  Well, that includes the cottages as well. No damage, but they didn’t want guests going hiking around the crater and possible getting hurt. Luckily I am able to stay with a friend tonight. 

Try to stay safe....living in paradise has it's challenges apparently.

2 hours ago, Drck said:

Sounds bumpy 

Hey Dork, what 's up with all the Bum looking people they keep showing on the News? Is that the Area where the Squatters are? 

35 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Hey Dork, what 's up with all the Bum looking people they keep showing on the News? Is that the Area where the Squatters are? 

Haven’t watched the news in a few days. I’ll see when I get home. 

Was the coverage of the evacuation zone? If so, I believe that area has some lower income developments. Many area also have lots of undeveloped land and could be squatters. Lots of hippy types as well. 

5 minutes ago, Drck said:

Haven’t watched the news in a few days. I’ll see when I get home. 

Was the coverage of the evacuation zone? If so, I believe that area has some lower income developments. Many area also have lots of undeveloped land and could be squatters. Lots of hippy types as well. 

I think So? Right down by the National Guard barricades.

1 hour ago, Dupa220 said:

I think So? Right down by the National Guard barricades.

Yeah, that’s the evacuation zone. Lava breaking through. 

Situation getting worse.  More and more toxic gasses.  Lava had subsided and they were letting residents back in during the day to check their homes and get things, but seems like that might stop.  Lava level dropping in the main crater and that might be risk for explosive steam events if the lava level dips below the water table.  That mostly affects folks around the crater, which is where the main visitor center is located near.  Risk there is mostly volcanic ash, but some "gravel sized" rocks can get thrown for a good distance. 

35 minutes ago, JRed said:

One of the downfalls of living on an explosive island. :|

Doesn’t really affect me. I’m on Oahu. 

Check that. The vog bothers me sinuses if the winds come from the SE, which thankfully isn’t common. 

1 hour ago, Drck said:

Doesn’t really affect me. I’m on Oahu. 

Not to split hairs/hares or tell you something that you don't already know, but you DO live on a volcanic island, yes?  The entire archipelago is volcanic reef, isn't it?   (Or did I dream that up between fleeting attention spans in high school geography class?). 

37 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Not to split hairs/hares or tell you something that you don't already know, but you DO live on a volcanic island, yes?  The entire archipelago is volcanic reef, isn't it?   (Or did I dream that up between fleeting attention spans in high school geography class?). 

Well, yes. The Hawaiian Island chain was formed my hot spot volcanism. So volcanic islands. However, only Hawaii island is active as they are currently over the hot spot. All other islands, no active volcano. 

There are some smaller land masses that are referred to atolls and reefs, but reefs are actually living organisms. Not formed by the volcano itself. 

You were prob just day dreaming of bikini beach babes. :really: 

If the lava gets too thickand heavy  the island could be  at risk of capsizing like Guam nearly did.

1 hour ago, Meke said:

If the lava gets too thickand heavy  the island could be  at risk of capsizing like Guam nearly did.

That's the military that is building too much on Guam. . .