Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JRed

San Gabriel Canyon Road

Recommended Posts

Went for a quick little jaunt up a new road today. I had originally tried to plan a group ride with three other interns who never ride for fun, but they magically ended up being busy. Oh well, I do kinda prefer solo riding. They missed out. San Gabriel Canyon Road is closed 20 miles in, presumably due to landslides after the super rainy winter 1.5 years ago, otherwise it would connect to Highway 2, which is also an excellent riding road. A couple reservoirs and an OHV are in San Gabriel Canyon, and turn after turn of perfect sweeping corners. I was expecting a lot of traffic being the weekend before 4th of July, but there really wasn't much. A few dozen other riders, 95% of which were apparently professional racers, but everyone was courteous.

A couple weeks ago I got my ECU flashed, and this was my first "for fun" ride since getting it back. The flash changed a lot of things: smoothed out the fuel maps, removed speed limiter, startup in sport mode, disabled electronic emissions controls, and -this is the part that's going to take some getting used to- reduced engine braking. Holy poop. I edited out all the super sharp hairpin turns because a) I'm not that good b) I had to slow way down and c) coming downhill I was super nervous going into them because letting off the gas in 2nd gear while going 55ish would slow me down to all of 50ish instead of the 35-40 I'm used to, so there was some ugly braking. Kept everything under control though, and had a good time.

 

Great fun. Perfect day. Maybe 75 up higher? I'm not sure the elevation where the road closes, but I know I passed a 5000' marker a ways before then. 

 

5b3992470f6b3_ScreenShot2018-07-01at7_33_11PM.thumb.png.126f3af21bb2fa4c5bac21107ffc97ef.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

Kali has so many beautiful places....to bad it's government is so fucked up.

I kinda wish they’d split into three states, except I’m pretty sure they’d just end up with three fucked up states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

Kali has so many beautiful places....to bad it's government is so fucked up.

Worth quoting.  Looks like a nice ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dupa220 said:

Sweet, but dang, that looks really Dry.

Nah, there were green things! I even saw one creekbed with water in it, so it was basically a rainforest  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to laugh at that show off cunt doing a wheelie at 2 minute mark.  Should have swerved at him to see if he shits himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Meke said:

Had to laugh at that show off cunt doing a wheelie at 2 minute mark.  Should have swerved at him to see if he shits himself.

That dude probably would have swerved around me and maintained the wheelie while I crashed. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JRed said:

That dude probably would have swerved around me and maintained the wheelie while I crashed. xD

That dude was fucken funny though.  Only in "murica"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Meke said:

That dude was fucken funny though.  Only in "murica"

Yeah, and this is unique even to California. I got a kick out of it. Roads like that on the weekends are mostly riders, and for whatever reason, no cops. Lots of skilled guys who want to show off. But they are good. That guy held balance point for the eighth mile of straight away uphill on a narrow mountain road. Show off, yes, but damn good. The guy I was trying to follow through a corner earlier was just walking away from me, and not even trying. They’re arrogant, vain, and elitist, but they do remind me how much I don’t know. 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I’m jealous. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JRed said:

Yeah, and this is unique even to California. I got a kick out of it. Roads like that on the weekends are mostly riders, and for whatever reason, no cops. Lots of skilled guys who want to show off. But they are good. That guy held balance point for the eighth mile of straight away uphill on a narrow mountain road. Show off, yes, but damn good. The guy I was trying to follow through a corner earlier was just walking away from me, and not even trying. They’re arrogant, vain, and elitist, but they do remind me how much I don’t know. 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I’m jealous. xD

So? Road Surfers? :segrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JRed said:

Yeah, but less hair and more leather. xD

Did you get a close look at the  type of bike surfer dude was  riding. Looked narrow like a motorcross with road wheels on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Meke said:

Did you get a close look at the  type of bike surfer dude was  riding. Looked narrow like a motorcross with road wheels on it.

Some sort of sport-naked, but I don’t know what make/model. The round headlight is throwing me off. 

 

Edit: Ducati Scrambler, maybe 

Edited by JRed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.