Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Big Creek

This might be better under Camping. Earlier this month my fellow riding intern and I took a weekend trip to Big Creek, California. Big Creek is where Southern California Edison has the majority of its' hydro generation. Because reasons, they aren't allowed to own much generation capacity, but since they kind of built all this before those reasons, the state let's them keep it. There's a whole pile of lakes that are man made when SCE decided to build hydro facilities there 100 years ago. There's one intern up there who was able to give us tours of two generating stations, and a dam. I can't show any cool pictures from inside though because of security stuff. Lame. The lakes are awesome though. We left LA at 5 AM on a Saturday, and got to the SCE offices around 9:45, beating what turned out to be an awful heat wave. We spent about 5 hours touring the hydro facilities, and then went and spent the rest of the day swimming and trying to fish on Huntington Lake. I say trying, because neither of us brought fishing gear. We did find a lure though, and some tangled line. So we managed to wrap it around a water bottle and figure out an awkward cast/reel technique. Didn't catch anything and lost the lure. Sunday we went down to Shaver and kayaked for a few hours, and jumped off some rocks. The water was perfect. So perfect four of us are going back in a couple weeks just to camp and swim. The video is from both days, just from Big Creek up and around Huntington, and then back down into the abomination that is the California deserts when there's a heat wave. My buddy is currently on a Ninja 300 so we were kinda limited on speed, which was fine in the mountains, but sucked once we got back to the interstate. We pretty much pinned it at 95 the whole way back trying to keep cool. It didn't work. xD

Juan at one of the generation stations.

IMG_4571.thumb.JPG.bcac5f6c4f747a9122f543ca3e46b1c0.JPG

From across the creek.

IMG_4574.thumb.JPG.04d6c9f1dd12e35fa494da6dafbedcb3.JPG

This tunnel ends up 1000 feet underground. And it's super cool, but you'll have to take my word for it. xD

IMG_4575.thumb.JPG.2de492b0f5341a4ba9adb1965a85d681.JPG

This dam is almost older than Don, and is also probably grosser on the inside. Lots of mineral build up from a hundred years of small leaks.

IMG_4596.thumb.JPG.a744e7a1c990b040e38f6384992607eb.JPG

Juan trying to temp some minnows.

IMG_4612.thumb.JPG.b102f3029add4d94abe295b508c7e728.JPG

I think we spent more time in the water than in the kayaks.

IMG_4616.thumb.JPG.8e0fe48a550916e4661efbe85cc79bd9.JPG

Dam on the right is the same from earlier.

IMG_4617.thumb.JPG.617a499bb1e7817130d03f6033667006.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 1.53.12 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Man! I love it when you do these!

:thumbs2: Thanks! I love doing them. In theory they’re for friends (y’all) and family, but mostly I just watch them repeatedly when I get fed up with school xD. Got another month before heading up to Idaho, and I think I’m gonna take four days to explore my way there. 

I like them too cause you show local heartland usa stuff.  Places most tourists will never see either in real or on public television. :thumbs2:

38 minutes ago, Meke said:

I like them too cause you show local heartland usa stuff.  Places most tourists will never see either in real or on public television. :thumbs2:

That’s my favorite part. I pick somewhere I want to go, and then get on Google Maps and pick a route with minimal freeway use. There is a lot of very cool country out here. 

2 hours ago, Etho said:

That was cool stuff. Love the song too. Brought me back to being 15 and trying to get laid. 

I love that music for riding, though I was a little young to be chasing girls in that era. xD

2 hours ago, vic_b said:

Cool pics! Looks like you got photo bombed twice. I love photo bombing people!

That whole area was packed! Apparently it’s the getaway for Fresno when it gets hot. It was kinda fun walking past groups of people and unlocking gates to go see cool stuff. 

7 hours ago, dbinthecountry said:

Same here.  Great music too. :bunnyjam:

:thumbs2:

36 minutes ago, FinFan77 said:

Those are great pics.  Seems like you might actually enjoy your career too.

Oh man. If I’m lucky. 

21 hours ago, JRed said:

I love that music for riding, though I was a little young to be chasing girls in that era. xD

I had a big ass long post. Suffice to say you, probably, missed out on an experience of something that pre-dated me and I'm probably the last generation to experience the old way of life, meeting people and chasing girls. It ended not long into the very late 90s and early 2000s. By the time I graduated high school it was dying....sadly. 

27 minutes ago, Etho said:

I had a big ass long post. Suffice to say you, probably, missed out on an experience of something that pre-dated me and I'm probably the last generation to experience the old way of life, meeting people and chasing girls. It ended not long into the very late 90s and early 2000s. By the time I graduated high school it was dying....sadly. 

I’m pretty sure asking a girl out is sexual assault these days. Safer to text and ask for nudes. 

2 minutes ago, JRed said:

I’m pretty sure asking a girl out is sexual assault these days. Safer to text and ask for nudes. 

You poor sad bastards............

6 minutes ago, JRed said:

Isn't calling someone a girl over there sexist as you are assuming you know their gender when infact it could be one of many many different genders ?

Or some fucked up think i know nothing about.

Hows the yamaha holding up.?

31 minutes ago, Meke said:

Isn't calling someone a girl over there sexist as you are assuming you know their gender when infact it could be one of many many different genders ?

Or some fucked up think i know nothing about.

Hows the yamaha holding up.?

Most people don’t take the whole gender identity bullshit seriously yet, but it is considered a real thing here on the West coast, and it’s spreading. It’s unreal. 

The Yammyham is awesome. I’ll have put 20k miles on it this week, after having it for ~16 months. No crazy maintenance problems. No any kind of problems. Just a blast of a bike for what it is. 

Nice...thanks for posting! And yeah....the whole teen aged years of cruising and girls was the best. Too bad todays' kids have screwed it all up with all their feminist, SJW, liberal BS.

20 hours ago, JRed said:

xD

20 hours ago, Dupa220 said:

You poor sad bastards............

xDxD

19 hours ago, JRed said:

Most people don’t take the whole gender identity bullshit seriously yet, but it is considered a real thing here on the West coast, and it’s spreading. It’s unreal. 

The Yammyham is awesome. I’ll have put 20k miles on it this week, after having it for ~16 months. No crazy maintenance problems. No any kind of problems. Just a blast of a bike for what it is. 

That's awesome.  Getting your money's worth. 

On 7/23/2018 at 8:37 PM, JRed said:

Probably. It's mind blowing to me how it's ALL cell phones now. ALL. My wife's cousins son was texting some girl across the street. I assumed she was out of town or something. No. She was home. He was texting or snapping or some shit. I had an old timer moment and a glare by his mom when I said "you're not gonna play with tits by texting her, kid". 

On 7/24/2018 at 5:31 AM, Gran Torino said:

Nice...thanks for posting! And yeah....the whole teen aged years of cruising and girls was the best. Too bad todays' kids have screwed it all up with all their feminist, SJW, liberal BS.

It was tons of fun. I'm glad I got to experience that. Plus the freedom of being able to get away. I was gone for 8, 10, 12 sometimes 24 hours or more and my parents had no way of knowing what I was doing or getting ahold of me unless I called to tell them. It was serious amounts of trust back then. What's amazing is we were allowed to go off and do that. Now kids are tethered and they can't do shit. 

Makes me chuckle. I rode city buses all over the 4th largest city in the US at the height of gang bullshit with no cell phone, no gun and maybe a pocket knife. Yet, my wife's friend doesn't let her kids walk to school 2 blocks away in a city of 14,000 that is completely isolated and quiet white bread suburbia. 

Edited by Etho

30 minutes ago, Etho said:

Probably. It's mind blowing to me how it's ALL cell phones now. ALL. My wife's cousins son was texting some girl across the street. I assumed she was out of town or something. No. She was home. He was texting or snapping or some shit. I had an old timer moment and a glare by his mom when I said "you're not gonna play with tits by texting her, kid". 

It was tons of fun. I'm glad I got to experience that. Plus the freedom of being able to get away. I was gone for 8, 10, 12 sometimes 24 hours or more and my parents had no way of knowing what I was doing or getting ahold of me unless I called to tell them. It was serious amounts of trust back then. What's amazing is we were allowed to go off and do that. Now kids are tethered and they can't do shit. 

Makes me chuckle. I rode city buses all over the 4th largest city in the US at the height of gang bullshit with no cell phone, no gun and maybe a pocket knife. Yet, my wife's friend doesn't let her kids walk to school 2 blocks away in a city of 14,000 that is completely isolated and quiet white bread suburbia. 

I took a  city bus and 2 transfers to get to the City pool.....when I was 8! there were 4 of us. but still.....8!!!!!! My kids don't really believe it.

12 hours ago, Etho said:

xD

Nice ride. I agree with the dating and chasing girls changing. Completely amazes me too and I'm not that much younger than you Etho. 

Red what kind of phone mount have you got that thing looks pretty tough

3 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Nice ride. I agree with the dating and chasing girls changing. Completely amazes me too and I'm not that much younger than you Etho. 

Red what kind of phone mount have you got that thing looks pretty tough

I use this RAM mount: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-universal-cell-phone-holder-kit

RAM has the most mounting options, so it's easy to customize how you want to attach it. I've got mine clamped to my windscreen bracket. It's a little bouncy, but not bad. With the RAM mounts, you have to use the little rubber deal that slips over the corners, otherwise a large bump can reduce the tension in the clamp enough that your phone goes flying. Downside is the rubber deal eventually wears out and breaks, but new ones are about 4 dollars, so I keep a spare in my tank bag.

There's a few other companies, and I think Mob Armor probably has a better clamp style, but less mounting options.