Sign in to follow this  
Gran Torino

The Sawmill Blades return.....

This series of Sawmill Blades are different this time as they are all hollow ground. They are made from the same sawmill blade are previous editions. Please see each individual description as there are two different sizes listed.

All come with the combo kydex/leather sheath shown.

This full tang knife is the smaller blades big brother. It has a 4 1/2" blade and OAL of about 9 1/2". It has SS pins/lanyard tube with Red G10 sculpted handles. This one is $85 shipped.

PiFWosO.jpg

This full tang blade has a 3 1/2" blade length and OAL of about 8". It has SS pins/lanyard tube with Black Canvas Micarta handles. This one is $75 shipped.

hUczxtN.jpg

This full tang blade has a 3 1/2" blade length and OAL of about 8". It has brass pins/lanyard tube with Ambrosia Maples handles. This one is $75 shipped.

yefsxh3.jpg

This full tang knife is the smaller blades big brother. It has a 4 1/2" blade and OAL of about 9 1/2". It has SS pins/lanyard tube with Spalted Elm handles. This one is $85 shipped.

DXMVGsq.jpg

xQhtYko.jpg

h3yh2MR.jpg

oyrQytw.jpg

2 hours ago, dbinthecountry said:

Those are some sweet blades.  What is the treatment on the blades?

No treatment actually. The sawmill blade was old, rusty and pitted a bit. I had to clean off the surface rusty with a wire wheel then soak them in some vinegar for a few days to clean them up. Then once I heat treat them that patina naturally shows itself giving a great look in my opinion.

1 minute ago, FinFan77 said:

What is "hollow ground?"

Like the looks of those. 

Hollow grind — a knife blade which has been ground to create a characteristic concave, beveled cutting edge. This is characteristic of straight razors, used for shaving, and yields a very sharp but weak edge which requires stropping for maintenance. ... The Finnish puukko is an example of a Scandinavian ground knife.

10 hours ago, FinFan77 said:

That helps.  So you did that to both sides?  Like it says above is the edge going to be more fragile?

Yes...did you see the pics of both sides? And for normal use hollow ground knives are great....they are actually better slicers. It you want to baton wood or use a knife as a chopper I wouldn't use a hollow ground knife.

16 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

No treatment actually. The sawmill blade was old, rusty and pitted a bit. I had to clean off the surface rusty with a wire wheel then soak them in some vinegar for a few days to clean them up. Then once I heat treat them that patina naturally shows itself giving a great look in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more.  They turned out very cool looking.  Kinda rustic.