Sign in to follow this  
JRed

The Long Way to Idaho

This is going to be a work in progress, and I'll update as I'm able. But I finished the video for day one! :woot:

As some of you know, I took a long ride this summer at the end of my internship. I spent 5 days riding 2200 miles to my brother's house in east Idaho, with one of those days hanging out in Portland with some friends. I'd been wanting to ride the coast since I started riding when I moved down here 3 years ago, but heavy rainfall over winter 2016/2017 had the PCH closed near Big Sur until the end of July 2018. With it open, and me having free time, I took my chance.

Day one was Temecula to Santa Cruz. My uncle met me in Santa Monica and rode with me as far as Pismo Beach, and then headed inland to meet a client from work. My dad had considered coming along, but he's never done any long distance riding, and a 500 mile day with me, followed by another 500 mile day home by himself would have been a poor introduction. I continued on the Pacific Coast Highway, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The road was predictably slow, as it's just a two lane with a lot of tourists (yes, me too). The video is pretty much from Moro Bay to Monterey, with a few clips at the beginning from earlier. Fog was come and go the whole way to Big Sur, after which it just stayed. I hadn't been on this route since I was probably 5 years old, so I had a lot of fun pretty much just taking it all in. I think there's a few clips of kelp forests. I have heard of kelp forests, particularly from my brother who did some biology work in Big Sur, and seen video of people diving in kelp forests, but I failed to appreciate how big they can be. Some of the patches visible on the surface are HUGE. After Monterey, it was just foggy and heavy traffic all the way to Santa Cruz, so it made for kind of a lame end of the day. But, I did get to see some relatives who live in that area, so that was nice. Overall, a great day. Not the best day of the trip, but I'd probably do it again. Took me almost 14 hours start to finish.

9:19:18.png

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4699.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

Love these videos....

I’m glad to hear that, because there’s gonna be at least three more in this thread by the time I’m done. xD

1 hour ago, dbinthecountry said:

That's some pretty country Red.

And there’s so much of it. It just never ends. Which is great, because I’m never going to run out of places to explore just out West. 

Day Two: Santa Cruz to Harris Beach State Park

Of the five riding days, this was my favorite. It was another 500 miler, which sucked, but the roads were super fun. Also it was foggy. Pretty much the whole time on the coast, except for a few patches of sun. And then anytime the road went inland it was smokey. But still. I'd do this stretch over and over and over. The coastline heading north keeps turning less and less beach like, with a lot more rocky outcroppings. That's cool on it's own, but I think the fog made it even cooler. Most of the places the road dipped inland it'd go through really cool forests. Also cool, and super cool in the fog. When the PCH ends, it heads back to Highway 101, via a 25 mile twisty stretch of redwoods (around 1:40 in the video). It was actually sunny for that part, and it was a blast. It was so much fun, I ended up with massive blisters on my throttle hand. I wore my vented leather summer gloves all day, because it wasn't raining, so of course I didn't need my waterproof gloves. Except that all the fog ended making my gloves wet enough they got stretchy. Combined with enthusiastic throttle opening and closing, I wasn't able to shake anyone's hands for a week. Anyway. Redwoods were awesome. Coast was awesome. Forests were awesome. Getting into Oregon...Sucked. Oregon doesn't have a Pacific Coast Highway. They have the 101. They also have trees. Lots of trees. That meant that even when the 101 was right near the coast, you couldn't see the ocean on account of the incredible amount missed lumber-jacking opportunities. Ah well.

Somewhere in northern California I stopped at a Harley dealer for the first time in my life. My can of chain lube had lost the top, and I was at 700 miles of damp riding without relubing. That's about 500 miles too far. Something I've learned about myself doing these trips is that I'm really bad at talking to people when I get off the bike. I stumbled in, made my way to the parts counter, and in a tired voice that could easily be mistaken for impatient and assholeish, I asked "Do you have chain lube? Do Harley's even use chain lube?" The clerk, bless his heart, answered very excitedly that he did, but since I insulted Harley... Had a good laugh, got a can and got back on the road.

I can't remember how long this day took, but I think it was somewhere around 12-13 hours; it was definitely about sunset when I rolled into the campground. I debated heading back to the nearest town for an actual dinner, but the thought of three more miles made my ass bleed, so camp stove it was. 

8:20 V.JPG

8:20 VI.JPG

8:20 IX.JPG

08:20:18.png

4 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Damn  Kid, you're killin me! 

I have to get back out there before I'm ashes. :segrin:

xD That was some of the most fun I've had on a multi-day trip. Awesome coastline, not many people.

Finally getting back around to doing these. It's been... a busy couple months. Good though. So, without further ado.

Leaving the California/Oregon border, the 101 does not exactly follow the coast. And Oregon has a lot of trees. So, when it wasn't on the coast, you could be 50 yards away and not see the ocean. BUT. When it was on the coast, it was pretty cool. And the trees were nice too. Not many of those here in SoCal. Oregon has a lot of cool bridges. I don't know why. Every time I'd go through a town there would be a bridge with at least a little bit of thought put into the visual aesthetic. Pretty cool. This was a much shorter day, around 350 miles total, and my posterior greatly appreciated the reduced saddle time. When I got to Portland, I stayed with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. Grew up with both of them, and they eventually got married. She's an eye doctor now. He's her office wench. He took the next day off and showed me around Portland. It was weird. After she got off work, we went and toured a bunch of breweries. I don't remember which ones exactly. I know two of them are very well known. Another childhood friend moved out there when they did, and he eventually popped by as well. Made for a good evening. We rented those dumb electric scooters to get between breweries. Pretty sure that's illegal, but oh man, what a good time.

08:21:18.png

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

6 hours ago, vic_b said:

not far from me now! if you go up north further, stop by and lunch is on me! 90 to idaho is pretty country.

? This was late August. I’m a little behind on the videos...

55 minutes ago, dbinthecountry said:

Really pretty country.

I was getting worried about you kid.  With the bar shooting and the fires and all.

All good here. Just busy with school, and, well, there’s a girl now, so. Not much free time. ?

20 hours ago, JRed said:

All good here. Just busy with school, and, well, there’s a girl now, so. Not much free time. ?

I understand that.  Mine was bored yesterday and drove me nuts until I left work early to be with her.

I'll have to watch the videos later. Awesome pictures I miss driving the coast when I was OTR. how much cargo capacity do you have with those bags and trunk? Interesting way to mount your gopro does it affect airflow in your helmet any?

1 hour ago, dbinthecountry said:

I understand that.  Mine was bored yesterday and drove me nuts until I left work early to be with her.

Better than working. I hope xD

46 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

I'll have to watch the videos later. Awesome pictures I miss driving the coast when I was OTR. how much cargo capacity do you have with those bags and trunk? Interesting way to mount your gopro does it affect airflow in your helmet any?

The top case is ridiculous: 47 liters. The side cases are each 22 liters, and the tank bag is 15. So, I've got way more capacity than is practical for an 850cc bike. I try to load it light, especially that top case as my bike is so light even having it on there empty has a noticeable impact on balance. But, I can pack everything I need for a week or two of camping if I keep my riding reasonable.

The GoPro mount is... I dunno. I have it on the chin of my helmet, because I like the video to show my perspective rather than the bikes. I managed to keep it from blocking any vents though, so airflow is good. The biggest problems with it are the weight, because after a full day with that thing on there your neck will feel it, and stability. When it gets windy, the resulting video can be downright nauseating.  

Finished the next video. Youtube blocked it. :kickcan:

3 hours ago, Danatkins said:

850cc thought you had a a smaller bike

Well, I used to... I’ve had this one for a little over a year and a half. It’s a hoot. 850cc triple, 460lbs wet (no luggage) and ~115 hp. 

Previously was the British abomination, Triumph Tiger @ 800cc and before that was the Honda CB500X @ 470ish cc