Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Sig P220 Magazine Issue: Rounds Nose Dive in Magazine

Already had to do some tinkering on the Sig 220 to make it work right. And people wonder why I swear by Glock! Regardless, I love these old boat anchors, they're just fun. I owned one years ago, actually intended to carry it on duty, but stayed with my beloved 17 instead. I regretted selling it. Lucked into a PD trade in 220 recently. 

So on to the problem. I went to the range today and the magazines would not hold their stated capacity of 8 rounds. It wasn't even close for one, the others were get somewhat close. It wasn't even consistently wrong either. Something clearly was wrong with the body of the magazine. Basically the rounds would force nose dive in the magazine and bind up, nothing in the world was going to make the round go further into the magazine allowing another round to go in.

I brought it home and broke out straight edges and dial calipers since I saw no dents or bends with the naked eye. Everything checked out as being equal even though I couldn't find the specs online. The interior was free of burrs and deformities and even dirt which could cause the sticky and won't fit the rounds nature. So I look for anything in the form of the magazine to be the culprit and notice these indentations at the top on the rear towards the spine. I look inside the body and notice they protrude through. They are right around the area of cartridge rim. Clearly they are meant to hold the cartridge, why I don't know. There isn't enough room for them to shift around. 1911s never used these and I don't recall them being on the older Sig I had a decade ago. What I also knew is that it wasn't going to hurt a damn thing to remove the raised area inside. 

Drilled it out and voila....it magically loaded all 8 rounds easily. See photos and notations below. 

You can see the indentations in the top of the magazine just to the upper left of the #2 witness hole

8883F0E8-A939-451B-A6EB-5F088111F127.jpeg

169DE2BA-D8BC-4D4B-9DFA-F443D542041C.jpeg

Also make sure your spring is oriented correctly. this is correct. Small end into the follower. 

6DE35D0C-3098-414F-BD36-31C7961C664E.jpeg

This is the indentation on the inside of the mag body and where it corresponds to the rim. 

45834F0B-911C-4D45-97AC-46D47B7BC724.jpeg

And again you can see where it falls on the rim and why it causes the problem it does. 

6F9D1DF4-53F7-4897-96E1-53BC330CDC1E.jpeg

411B47BB-357D-4944-951F-90A6D301ADA6.jpeg

B20540FB-1E21-4975-8FE3-4B2D5D88F49B.jpeg

Edited by Etho

No, I'm sure Mec Gar did this for whatever reason. It's uniform on and all three magazines which two were purchased separate of this pistol. It probably would work just fine with some ammunition, did not work so well with that steel case I was using. I don't believe in having to use certain ammo for something to work. For better accuracy or something, sure. But not to even function. 

6 minutes ago, Etho said:

No, I'm sure Mec Gar did this for whatever reason. It's uniform on and all three magazines which two were purchased separate of this pistol. It probably would work just fine with some ammunition, did not work so well with that steel case I was using. I don't believe in having to use certain ammo for something to work. For better accuracy or something, sure. But not to even function. 

Whoever designed that probably thought they had the greatest quick fix for some bizarre problem. Did you get to shoot it after fixing it?

7 hours ago, JRed said:

Whoever designed that probably thought they had the greatest quick fix for some bizarre problem. Did you get to shoot it after fixing it?

No, shot it earlier in the day though. It didn’t cause any issues with function. Just cut the capacity. 

Hmmm. Where’s you buy them from?

I hvd a bunch of Mecgar mags for my CZ and they are awesome. I got them from Greg Cote, who’s is super helpful. My initial experience with the Mecgars where them at they didn’t fit well with my CZ. They wouldn’t drop free and couple were tough to seat. It turned out the CZ custom grips were the issue as they protruded slightly into the magwell. Custom G10 grips resolved that. 

Anyways, Greg was willing to give me full credit back on the mags, even though they were used and marred up as a result. Good guy and will always look to him for mags. 

Sorry, just saw this. Bought them at AIM Surplus when I bought the pistol. I checked with some tards at work who still carry 220s and there’s had the dimple. Not sure what it does or why it hated steel case. But it did.