You do just precision or bulk as well? I'm looking at a Dillon 650 for my 9mm and 223. Then an rcbs summit for my 308 and 243 precision stuff

I use it for all my reloading. Eventually I’ll get a progressive press for pistol. But for rifle, I’ll use my rc. 

31 minutes ago, Etho said:

A crappy Lee. I want a .50 press. Some of can load “normal” calibers with adapters. 

I think the Rcbs and Hornady do that. I looked into it a while back you can really save some serious coin reloading 50bmg. I once saw adapters for 209 shotgun primers for the brass but can't find them anymore

Best "starter" setup?  

What have you found works best for you now?

I've read most start with single stage (or whatever basic one is called).  Than many go to progressive, especially for pistol.  But not everyone does.  

28 minutes ago, Drck said:

Best "starter" setup?  

What have you found works best for you now?

I've read most start with single stage (or whatever basic one is called).  Than many go to progressive, especially for pistol.  But not everyone does.  

Lee makes good but inexpensive stuff. It's what I started on and still use today. 

Starting with single stage is best as it requires paying attention closely to do anything and each step is completely separated. Whether someone moves on to a turret or progressive depends on what/how they're loading. All I do is precision stuff, so a single stage works fine for me. 

I started on dad's old Lyman turret single stage, then went to his dillon 550 which is a progressive but it doesn't auto index and only has 4 stages. Then I bought a Hornady lock n load AP it was garbage. The primer feed sucks on it and I kept getting squib loads with my 9mm loads running titegroup sold it back to my buddy who never had problems with it. My issue with the Hornady is you have to keep everything extra extra hospital clean. It sat in my buddy's attic for about a year and just needs to much care. The dillons you can leave them set for a while go back to them clean the dust off and go to churning out ammo

Dillon and Lee seem to be the most popular here for single stage.  I think some use the RCBS, Rockchucker I think.  

2 hours ago, Drck said:

Dillon and Lee seem to be the most popular here for single stage.  I think some use the RCBS, Rockchucker I think.  

Barring some catostrophic failure, they all will get the job done. I’ve loaded on my Lee, RCBS and even a Forster at a friends dads house. They all make ammo that shoots. Accuracy and consistency is in the prep work and die work. Has nothing to do with the press.

How about powder for beginners?

I heard/read something about fast or slow burning powders.  How one of them is better for beginners because something about less chance of a double/over charge since the powder takes up more space in the casing.  

Just follow the book starting out and everything is fine. Check and recheck powder charges. It’s pretty friggin hard to double charge. Not many cartridges can take two charges in the case. 

Powder being fast or slow is a bit vague. There’s rifle powder, handgun powder and shotgun powder. Handgun burns fastest then rifle then shotgun. Then within those again are more burn rates.

Case capacity has more to do with the cartridge than the powder. .300BLK for instance almost everything is a compressed load, as opposed to .308 which has compressed loads but not many. 

1 minute ago, Danatkins said:

Yeah definitely a good idea. You can actually triple charge 9mm with the powder I use

Triple? What powder are you using? 

3 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

Titegroup. Been told that anyhow haven't tried but my charge is only 3.6 grains and that doesn't even fill it 1/3

You should try it. 

18 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

I'll see if it'll fit but aint about to fire it lol

Post a video please. O.o 

16 hours ago, Etho said:

You should try it. 

1st pic is my load which is 3.6 grains 

2nd picture is a double charge I tried to triple but it was just flush with the case mouth so if you did that you would know because your would be crunching like crazy when you seated the bullet

1109181231.jpg

1109181231a.jpg

I don’t think a double would even seat a projectile much less a triple. 

Edited by Etho

Idk currently don't have a press at my disposal. Not so much with 9mm but I've seen a few times with revolvers since titegroup doesn't really use much people have doubled and kaboomed their gun.