Sign in to follow this  
Gran Torino

So I made this Seax....Need ideas/opinions

So I made this Seax ....a very loose interpretation on my part of a broke back Viking/Saxon Seax. No...it's not historically accurate and don't claim it to be in any way shape of form. It's made from 1/4" thick 1070 carbon steel with texture and etchings in the blade. The handle has textured front and rear cast iron caps with pieces of copper, G10, bog oak, walnut and ash in between. The white ash has brass inserts and there is a good bit of carving in the handle. It is of hidden tang construction and the tang goes straight through the back and is threaded and capped. 12" blade and OAL of 17 1/2 hell yeah inches.

UWhoSt1.jpg

1GL4Wbb.jpg

5kpjZOA.jpg

5kpjZOA.jpg

QfdQj5a.jpg

5lrw7O4.jpg

amMD9ng.jpg

Here is my questions to all of you. While this blade is perfectly serviceable as a weapon I'm thinking it may be displayed more than carried. Keep in mind the more options I'm about to offer up the more expensive It gets. So take a look and give me your thoughts and any additional ideas you may have and thanks.

One option is to offer a simple display stand along these lines...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbj1cT4-5LmtFMcv00HQv1ujADcghtnnqgM_FY7pk1L2QH52MUY_Pg3VZmaqncP7XgKm9eOptpk5lTd9o8xouL3FTkluJCF7qb-jYbhUbB-Eh8rgHeL6UukA&usqp=CAE

Another is to offer a covered yet removeable case something like this...and can get expensive.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg25w3zRpvQVmXILJSJhnrn94iyqkY29P7Xw1Wu7xkYmkV0nxE

Another is to offer a nice leather yet practical leather sheath something along these lines ...

small_100_4784_wm.JPG

Another option is to offer a more period looking sheath but doesn't really afford a modern belt carry option..

post-38879-0-58862000-1433181455.jpg

1 minute ago, Gran Torino said:

Not Roman....actually Viking.

I meant that to me, the last looked more Roman influenced than Viking. Not that I am an expert in Vikings. 

1 hour ago, dbinthecountry said:

What a beast.

IMHO I think any scenario should include a sheath.  I've had knives that were meant to be displayed and they all came with a sheath.  Again, just my humble opinion.

Yeah....I was leaning that way. Between the knife. sheath and display it may get expensive.xD

10 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

Yeah....I was leaning that way. Between the knife. sheath and display it may get expensive.xD

Gotcha.  I can totally see those decked out sheaths getting pretty pricey!  

I do think the display case is pretty cool for a unique piece like this.  Not my style to display something like that, but I think it's a cool idea if someone has the space and fancy for that.  

Holy crap that’s a sweet ass blade, I think a quality equally sweet sheath and if someone wants to mount it in a display case they can build or buy their own. Offering display boxes and other specialty items seems like a whole other expensive avenue that will take time away from your knife making process and probably won’t give as good a $$$ return for your time and effort.

Front

okhuor7.jpg

Front

CDYwRVj.jpg

Back (You cant really see it in the pic but instead of my normal stamp I used Viking runes for E.C.G. on the belt loop base.)

ZABNCNI.jpg

Belt Loop Back

gmVxUBV.jpg

Belt Loop Front

Eh1bdLL.jpg

All that's left is make the open display shelf and ship it off to the customer.

1 hour ago, Gran Torino said:

I'll bet. Is it healing ok?

So far it is. The therapist said I could start to make a fist yesterday, of course I started Sunday on it. 

So I made a simple open display stand for the Seax and sheath.

It's right at 7" tall. The walnut is 1" thick. I've had that piece in my closet for nearly 2 years.  The finish is a homemade mixture of beeswax and coconut oil. 

aWNnHZo.jpg

6OvOqWk.jpg