Sign in to follow this  
Gran Torino

Nessmuk style knife....

Made from 3/16" thick 1084 carbon steel it's nearly 10" in OAL and a blade around 5 1/4". It has some carving on the spalted elm handles with mosaic pins and brass lanyard tube. There is a bit of thumb jimping on the spine. I added a bit of texture to the steel and a black oxide finish. This includes the combo leather/kydex sheath shown

FYeddDG.jpg

4xqAvjn.jpg

DhbCf2v.jpg

2ry0NZx.jpg

1 hour ago, Drck said:

Nessmuk? Is that Alaskan native based?

Looks similar to a Santoku kitchen knife. Interesting shape. 

A little history for you...

Of all the classic knife patterns to have originated in the Americas, the Nessmuk knife is one of my favorites. Named after the chap who popularized it, George Washington Sears, the Muk is still unique over a century after it first appeared. Sears was a contributor to Forest & Stream Magazine (later merged with Field & Stream) in the 1880’s, and he used the pen name “Nessmuk” in honor of a Native American he knew as a child. The following is what I have learned of his eponymous fixed blade over the years.

Sears was a small man, and was very conscientious of the amount of gear he carried. Some have dubbed him the father of modern ultralight camping, and he favored a complementary set of three tools during his outings. This “Nessmuk Trio” as it came to be known consists of a small double-bit axe, a moose pattern folding knife, and his now infamous fixed blade.

I say infamous because no one knows what happened to his original knife, or the exact dimensions and construction of it. Considering how popular the pattern has become, Sears wrote surprisingly little about the knife in his book Woodcraft and Camping (free e-book here!), never mentioning things like blade length, or type of grind, etc., but between the illustration and the description we can glean a few things.

The most defining characteristic is definitely the hump of the blade, which is there for myriad reasons. Not only does it create a more robust tip, but it can also be used as a rudimentary spoon. I have also heard of people using it as a handhold in order to use their Muks like an improvised draw-knife.

Of course the primary purpose is as an aid for skinning. It can be used to lift the tip of the knife after getting under the skin to keep from piercing vital organs, and can be used to scrape fatty tissue from the hide to prepare it for tanning.

nessmuk-knife

Ahh. Pretty cool. 

Been showing off some of your blades on a local forum. Lots of guys saying they are interested in getting one, but seems like lots of “all show, no go”. :( 

3 hours ago, Drck said:

Ahh. Pretty cool. 

Been showing off some of your blades on a local forum. Lots of guys saying they are interested in getting one, but seems like lots of “all show, no go”. :( 

I get that a lot. But I still sell as many as I like so it's all good. What gripes me more than anything is the people that "have to ask the wife". I mean fuck that...it's embarrassing. If you have to ask mommy for a little of the money you are earning then at least ask her first before you blab about it on an open forum.

Damn Don, you're killing me.  Very nice.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:30 PM, vic_b said:

If I ask her she says “you don’t have to ask” I got to admit I use her for an excuse at times :segrin:

Exactly how it should be.  I make my money.  I do what I want with it.

6 hours ago, dbinthecountry said:

Damn Don, you're killing me.  Very nice.

Exactly how it should be.  I make my money.  I do what I want with it.

Don't worry brother...it's sold.:bellylaf: