Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Team Roping

I like how the blue dudes beast  rears up out of the starting blocks. Seems to have more horsepower than the other dudes.

2 hours ago, vic_b said:

Damn! Do you calf rope too?

Not yet, but I am about to start learning. I don't have a desire to compete, but I would like to learn.  My brothers used to do it professionally for years, and both are national champions.  Now they just compete for fun at smaller rodeos and roping events. 

10 minutes ago, Meke said:

I like how the blue dudes beast  rears up out of the starting blocks. Seems to have more horsepower than the other dudes.

That actually is not a desireable trait for roping horses to do (although, I thought it was cool as hell too).  That slows down their time because it actually takes more time for the horses to hit the ground and start really running.  Their steer was an incredibly fast one, and they had to chase it further than the other teams had to chase their steers.   My brothers still came in second place though.  They had 2 of the fastest running horses out of the team ropers.  

Incidentally, that was Baja's first rodeo.  (Baja is the buckskin horse).   He had only done ropings in practice in the arenas in their hometown.  

Thats cool. We have a rodeo circuit  here but homo's want it banned.It's more of the bull riding and horse bucking rodeo.

We have  horse sports which is cool. Thats like spearing a potato at full gallop and  bareback slalom racing sort of thing.

Poormans rodeo. xD

That buckskin is a damn nice looking nag.

good team ropers are good to watch, there's some sizeable prize money in it if you're good enough, especially over there in the states.

my brother used to ride bare back, he was pretty good at it to boot, traveled all over Australia then the US and Canada competing for a while, but ended up giving it away due to some pretty hefty injuries.

8 hours ago, Several said:

That buckskin is a damn nice looking nag.

good team ropers are good to watch, there's some sizeable prize money in it if you're good enough, especially over there in the states.

my brother used to ride bare back, he was pretty good at it to boot, traveled all over Australia then the US and Canada competing for a while, but ended up giving it away due to some pretty hefty injuries.

My brothers have a ton of trophy saddles, horse trailers, knives, belt buckles, spurs that they won as prizes over the years (in addition to quite a bit of cash).  They have also won a few pickup trucks over the years, but those have been worn out and sold over time.  Team Roping is something that people can do as they get older since it is not as physically demanding as far as being beaten up as opposed to things like bull riding, bronc riding, steer wrestling, and calf roping.  But the level of coordination on team roping is impressive.  I am really fascinated by it. 

I really like those captures, I think my favorite is the first black & white one (man in checkered shirt) facing the camera.  

Awesome brothers you have there.  :thumb:

Damn those are great shots Shane.

It'd be great to see some - at least maybe the 1st two of Beau & Ben coming out of the gates - larger. 

Very nice. I love action shots.

15 hours ago, Janitor said:

It'd be great to see some - at least maybe the 1st two of Beau & Ben coming out of the gates - larger. 

Here are a couple that I uploaded to SmugMug (rather than a direct load to the forum).  It should allow them to be viewed larger by clicking on them.

BeauBen1-L.jpg

BeauBen8-L.jpg

BeauBen4-L.jpg

BeauBen9-L.jpg

BeauBen10-L.jpg

Phew. I thought it was me.

It is for sure better for me though - not what either of us would call large @ about 800X500, but at least I can better see them. I'm on a largish hi-res monitor, and that's not helping either.

Thanks.

You got a great set of shots on that outing. I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes you might make over time with this.

I couldn't see any way to post the full size image from your SmugMug album. When you try to do it do you get a 'Size' button when you hit the share selection?

i-98QXqRH-M.png

Thanks!   I have a LOT of ideas for different shots.  As I have been to more ropings, I see different angles and timings.  Some it depends on the area and the areas that I can access. I'll get some some killer shots.................eventually. :D

I think the board software is what is reducing the pictures.  

14 minutes ago, Drck said:

See if they will let you hide in one of those barrels inside the ring/pen/area.  :D 

:bellylaf:  Like the rodeo clowns.  

41 minutes ago, Thumper said:

:bellylaf:  Like the rodeo clowns.  

That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to call you a clown.  :D 

51 minutes ago, Drck said:

That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to call you a clown.  :D 

I've been called worse. :D      I don't think that they have barrels in the arena during Team Roping events, but it was a thought at least.  Most of the ropings are roping only events.  Sometimes, they have ropings during a full fledge rodeo (where they have multiple events like bull riding, calf roping, break away, bronc riding, etc).    Most of the ropings that I will be going to are cash payout events that help establish the roping teams' rankings in nationally sanctioned events.  A lot of them, even the smaller ones, pay out several thousand dollars even if the teams don't come in 1st place. 

If I can get good enough at it, I wouldn't mind entering a few of the smaller ones.  Although, the World Series Team Roping organization has tiered rankings so that absolute beginners can compete at the same events as the rockstars.  They just compete within their rank.  But competing is not on the short term goal list at the moment.  

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Thanks!   I have a LOT of ideas for different shots.  As I have been to more ropings, I see different angles and timings.  Some it depends on the area and the areas that I can access. I'll get some some killer shots.................eventually. :D

I think the board software is what is reducing the pictures.  

You're welcome.

I think the photo size thing may be something with your settings on SmugMug, possibly related to access control. When I post a photo from my account, I get a choice of sizes to post, and a link directly to a .jpg file. The new forum software does behave differently with the photos than the old stuff did, but it will still let you put up larger photos.

Old forum software - You could post a largish photo and the board would scale to a reasonable pre-set size. If you clicked on the photo it went to a larger image that was up to the entire browser window in width (or height depending on the AR).

New forum software - post a photo as large as you like (I think). The software will scale the image to the application window within the browser window. NOTE that the forum has a border on the sides - it doesn't take up the full browser window. At least not in Chrome. I'll post a couple new large ones in the first thread pretty quick here.

My brothers were roping in Sublette, KS last night.  They won 1st place.  Looks like it had been raining quite a bit prior to the roping. 

• Like 2

Damn - those guys are fast.

Cool video too. Hard conditions - bad light and you have to track pretty f'n quick if you want both of them in the frame at end game. Nicely done.

4 hours ago, Janitor said:

Damn - those guys are fast.

Cool video too. Hard conditions - bad light and you have to track pretty f'n quick if you want both of them in the frame at end game. Nicely done.

I'm not sure who took the video, but it wasn't me. Ben's wife took the video, and Ben sent it to me this morning.  I was on the phone with my dad last night, and he told me that my brothers were probably throwing ropes right when we were speaking.  Ben called dad towards the end of our call to report in with dad as to he and Beau did.  (Apparently, that is the protocol.  Call Dad and report in immediately after you rope.  Mental note........).   Then I got this video this morning, and Ben said that they took 1st Place.  Whoever took the video did a good job, especially since it appears to be on a phone.  (Likely that Ben handed his phone to someone and asked them to video their run).  But yeah, they are fast.  

I am going to Dalhart, TX on Sunday to watch them (and Dad) rope.  I'll be taking my camera, and Sheri will likely be taking videos of their runs on her phone.   So more photos and videos are on the way. 

We asked Dad if he could go with us to look at a horse that Sheri is interested in on Saturday, but he said that as long as they don't get rained out that they will likely be practicing on Saturday for the Sunday roping.  Dad is looking to get me a horse that is basically unbroke so that he can work with me on training it, that way, I can learn directly from him on everything that I need to know about horsemanship by training my own horse that is "green as a gourd" as he puts it.  He said there is no better way to learn than to train one yourself.  And to learn from him is like being handed pure gold from a grandmaster.  He said that he and my brothers will all work together to train me to rope.  He also said that my brothers were so totally stoked to be in on this that they have already started building me a roping dummy that I can practice on.  I'm pretty pumped about this.   He said that he is going to be a lot more rigid in his selection of Sheri's horse since she needs something fairly gentle as he is concerned about her previous injuries (despite her being an excellent rider).  I totally agree.  She is not going to be doing any events, but she does want her own horse. 

• Like 1

That's awesome thump. I've been wanting a horse since college. I got asked to watch over a neighbors horse and fell in love. I grew up sorta around em. Going horseback riding this past weekend in Oklahoma with the girls started the desire again. 

• Like 1

That all sounds wickedly cool Shane. 

Nice that he's going to help you bring up a raw new horse like that. May even be a photo op or two for you along the way. How far is it down to your Dad's place? Easy enough drive to go any time you get a hair up your ass?

1 hour ago, Janitor said:

That all sounds wickedly cool Shane. 

Nice that he's going to help you bring up a raw new horse like that. May even be a photo op or two for you along the way. How far is it down to your Dad's place? Easy enough drive to go any time you get a hair up your ass?

50 minutes North of here.  Easy drive.  :thumbs2: