Sign in to follow this  
Drck

Sharpening Options/Preferences

What is your preferred method for sharpening your knives?  Both EDC/pocket knives as well as kitchen knives and others.

Been getting back into knives lately.  Picked up a few ZT knives for myself and some gifts.  One of my best friend's son conned me into getting him a Benchmade.  Been looking closer at different steels and now expanding stuff for sharpening.

I have a bunch of hand held sharpeners.  Those Lansky tools where you draw the blade through the V-stones and the ceramic or steel with diamond abrasive sticks.  I have never been able to use those to get knives more than "ok" sharp.  I also have a set of the ceramic sticks that are in the V shape that I used pretty often for quick sharpening.  When I have time, I have a combination water stone (250/1000) that I can get a very good edge on them.

I've been wanting to get sharper in my sharpening skills.  I have ordered some water stones in the 1000 - 6000 range as well as the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  I've also ordered some stuff to strop the knives.  Looking forward to trying those. 

The wicked sharp systems seem really good, but pricey.  They have a holiday special going on one of their sets.  Really tempted to try that one too.  

For hunting, edc I use lansky sharpening system, for kitchen I have a set japanese wet stones I use. Then follow up for both types with a strop with white rouge on it.

x2 on the lansky kit.   I seem to be able to get a very good edge with that kit, and it takes half the time of my old Arkansas stones.  I still like using the old stones when time allows...which unfortunately is hardly ever >:(

11 minutes ago, Gran Torino said:

I got this a couple months ago and have been able to get a right fine polished edge. I got the set with the 5 silicone carbide stones and leather strop.

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/hapstone-m2-knife-sharpener?variant=8173004062837

I thought you were using the Wicked system? 

Whatever you were using was damn effective! All the knives that I got from you have been super sharp. I’ll just say that the neck knife has already “tasted” human blood. O.o 

Got the Wicked Edge (WE-130 with some finer stones and strop) in yesterday. Tested on a Benchmade with D2 steel and I’m liking it. D2 is supposed to be one of the hardest steels to get a good edge. I had sharpened this knife with the Spyderco Sharpmaker before and was able to get a pretty good edge, good enough for EDC stuff. But wasn’t able to get a “shave worthy” edge. It took me a little bit to get used to keeping the stones flat on the blade and I think to verify the burr, but once I did, I was able to get a really nice edge. While not “hair whittling or popping” sharp, definitely “shave worthy” and as good or better than many knives I’ve had out of the box. It’s supposed to take 5-10 knives to break in the stones, so I’m expecting results to improve as the stones break in and my technique improves. 

I noticed that even after the 200 grit that the edge was very sharp but could very much see the striations on the edge. Think I need to spend more time smoothing than out with the 400+ stones to get a really fine edge. Like the WE videos mentioned, I think 600 grit is definitely good enough for EDC, but I do want to be able to get a finer edge. 

With folders, I have trouble maintaining consistency across the curved portion of the blade. I can get kitchen knives super sharp with stones, but believe that’s because the blades are usually flat or much less curvature. With the WE, I can get a nice and uniform sharpened band among the full length of the blade. 

Now that I know I can get a really good edge on the D2, I’m gonna start on my beater knives with steels that are known for being easy to sharpe, like 8Cr13MoV.  

AF6FAAED-E4F1-4319-9B67-41B769E103E8.jpeg

90EE8F5E-0480-48ED-B0F4-89380E1FA1A0.jpeg

58 minutes ago, dbinthecountry said:

The more you use it the better the stones get.  I already need new strops.

That’s what I’m hearing. I’ve sharpened three knives so far. Two of those I went back for a second pass at them after reading some tips. I mean I am happy with how sharp I can get them, which is definitely good enough for EDC use. I just want to be able to get them to a higher level of sharp. 

22 hours ago, Drck said:

That’s what I’m hearing. I’ve sharpened three knives so far. Two of those I went back for a second pass at them after reading some tips. I mean I am happy with how sharp I can get them, which is definitely good enough for EDC use. I just want to be able to get them to a higher level of sharp. 

I can get them to shave sharp.  I still need to practice more though.

1 hour ago, dbinthecountry said:

I can get them to shave sharp.  I still need to practice more though.

I can get these knives sharp enough to shave my arm hairs, but the paper test hasn't been as "clean" as some of the knives I have out of the box.  I've read that some folks see the paper test as somewhat of a parlor trick.  Something about 1) the grain of some paper and 2) most folks don't really cut paper with their knives, so not a practical test.  Before I got really into knives, my test was the simple one where if the blade catches on your finger nail test, but that's easy.  

I can get my kitchen knives with whetstones sharp enough to glide through paper with a slicing motion, but I've seen guys post videos where they can get the knives sharp enough that they can "push cut" paper.  Wow! 

1 hour ago, Drck said:

I can get these knives sharp enough to shave my arm hairs, but the paper test hasn't been as "clean" as some of the knives I have out of the box.  I've read that some folks see the paper test as somewhat of a parlor trick.  Something about 1) the grain of some paper and 2) most folks don't really cut paper with their knives, so not a practical test.  Before I got really into knives, my test was the simple one where if the blade catches on your finger nail test, but that's easy.  

I can get my kitchen knives with whetstones sharp enough to glide through paper with a slicing motion, but I've seen guys post videos where they can get the knives sharp enough that they can "push cut" paper.  Wow! 

I wish I could use whetstones.  I suck at it. 😃

On 1/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, Drck said:

Push cut?

25 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

Push cut?

Where you can cut through paper by just pushing the knife through paper as opposed to a slicing motion. 

Did some testing with knives where I stabilize the paper better and most can push cut when they can’t slice cut smoothly. I’ve seen videos where guys get knives so sharp that they cut through paper like butter. I don’t “need” my knives that sharp, but would be good to be able to.