Sign in to follow this  
vic_b

Winchester 1200.... opinions?

Got an offer to buy a Winchester 1200 for about 250.00 with a little work it could be a nice looking gun. 28" barrel. Good deal or no?

Without seeing it, could be a excellent price, good price or bad price. The prices are all over the place around here as it's wholly dependent on condition. As far as the shotgun itself, Winchester shotguns always got overshadowed by Remington and then the B's. It's a shame too because they're very well made and excellent shotguns. 

Edited by Etho

I wouldn't say it's a smoking price, but sounds about right. Try offering $175 and see what happens. 

Did a little more research on the model and asked him a few pointed questions on its history that kind of set off alarms. His brother picked it up from a friend several years ago that had a drug problem. Told him I’m gonna take a pass on it. I did find a web site that sells gun kits. They are basically firearms with the receiver cut in half. I may keep my eye out for a neat one at a good price then just buy a receiver. I’ll post a link when I get to my laptop. 

Bummer. But probably a good idea. You've already had an issue with that in the past once before. 

Yup it's legit. I'm looking at buying one or more lever actions then just getting receivers off gunbroker or something.

2 hours ago, vic_b said:

Yup it's legit. I'm looking at buying one or more lever actions then just getting receivers off gunbroker or something.

Wonder how hard it is build one. 

Probably not real hard. But, I'm thinking it would depend on the firearm. I've been looking for receivers for Winchester 94 and it's not easy to find. Mossberg 500 can be found. I think if you had a junk firearm with a good receiver, one could make a nice gun. I'm gonna be on the lookout for a few of those. Find one with a bent barrel or something that doesn't affect the receiver then find a parts gun......

2 hours ago, vic_b said:

Probably not real hard. But, I'm thinking it would depend on the firearm. I've been looking for receivers for Winchester 94 and it's not easy to find. Mossberg 500 can be found. I think if you had a junk firearm with a good receiver, one could make a nice gun. I'm gonna be on the lookout for a few of those. Find one with a bent barrel or something that doesn't affect the receiver then find a parts gun......

Some of them aren’t hard to assemble but getting the headspace right is and requires lathes and what not to turn barrel shoulders. 

That’s where it may not be such a good deal. By the time you pay a gunsmith to install a barrel you may as well buy a whole new rifle. But! If you can find a cheap barreled receiver then you may have a deal. 

1 hour ago, vic_b said:

That’s where it may not be such a good deal. By the time you pay a gunsmith to install a barrel you may as well buy a whole new rifle. But! If you can find a cheap barreled receiver then you may have a deal. 

That's true. 

On 1/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, vic_b said:

Did a little more research on the model and asked him a few pointed questions on its history that kind of set off alarms. His brother picked it up from a friend several years ago that had a drug problem. Told him I’m gonna take a pass on it. I did find a web site that sells gun kits. They are basically firearms with the receiver cut in half. I may keep my eye out for a neat one at a good price then just buy a receiver. I’ll post a link when I get to my laptop. 

Ok, I'm confused.  Basically everything to build the gun except the receiver? 

Pretty much. The only problem is, by the time you find and buy a receiver, then buy the parts kit, you may as well buy a good used gun. I can see buying a kit if you had a firearm that was missing a bunch of parts or wanted spares. But to piece it together just isn’t economical. 

13 minutes ago, vic_b said:

Pretty much. The only problem is, by the time you find and buy a receiver, then buy the parts kit, you may as well buy a good used gun. I can see buying a kit if you had a firearm that was missing a bunch of parts or wanted spares. But to piece it together just isn’t economical. 

Never looked at it for anything other than battle rifles or SMGs. With some of them, the only way to get one is to build from a parts kit. Never considered it for a "normal" firearm. 

After spending an hour or so looking for cheap receivers for a Winchester 30-30 or shotgun receiver, I doubt I’ll be doing it either. This is my notes from this mornings search...

mossberg stripped receiver w/ mag tube 150.00

shipping 20.00

tax15.00

transfer fee 27.00

kit price: 189.00

tax 20.00

shipping I forget 

so I could buy a new mossberg 500 for what I would pay for the kit and receiver. 

In my search for a receiver, I was perusing the local gun forum and found a mossberg 500 for 200.00 I pick it up tomorrow. 

DEAC0C26-BF59-417C-98C1-ABB5AF5E2E17.jpeg