Sign in to follow this  
Etho

TacSol/Polymer 80/Lone Wolf Glockish Rimfire Pistol

So I went a little further than just buying a rimfire conversation for some of my Glocks. I just built a rimfire Glockish pistol. I used a Polymer 80 receiver, LWD receiver parts(cheaper and probably a bit better than Glock), Apex trigger and a Tactical Solutions(TacSol) .22 rimfire conversion. It has 1/2-28 threads so my still incarcerated Bowers Bitty will thread right onto it. 

According to TacSol these conversions only work on factory Glock receivers. Well I dunno bout all that, I read of lock up issues with these P80 receivers. Mine does just fine and passes all function checks. It's very tempting to take it out in the backyard with my subs and try a few rounds. Probably wouldn't end well in suburbia at all so I'll wait and go to the range like a normal person I guess. 

57119194106__7A621795-277E-4691-9017-2BA371DF13E1.thumb.JPG.f1c018f66ff01afdf5fa61a56a390686.JPG

It's mostly like a Glock. The striker components are encased completely in the slide and a cover(the two allen head bolts seen below at the rear and the inside of the slide hold it in). Of course the extractor isn't quite the same as a Glock and I'm not sure what the bar is on the side of the barrel. Otherwise, it uses standard Glock or equivalent parts. It'll be fun to see how it works out on the range. The front of the recoil spring is secured with a machined piece that slides into the front of the slide and is removable. That's pretty interesting and would be even more interesting to find out from TacSol why they did that. Anyway here are some outside photos and the "guts". Also got one of the magazines. It, of course, uses proprietary magazines. 

IMG_0728.thumb.jpg.26b37b9e014704e406530624ed4c18c5.jpg

IMG_0734.thumb.jpg.54469fd4291cfb9709f39b2355e5c344.jpgIMG_0733.thumb.jpg.5c17489696e8c814b8a759ac3e848c9c.jpgIMG_0732.thumb.jpg.3c3e1cf32c8ba27c0d21cc3c800d8e8c.jpgIMG_0731.thumb.jpg.91c266411e73945d822914e7a5f093ea.jpgIMG_0730.thumb.jpg.42aefe79a8f3faa1dbbd36039c97ebb1.jpgIMG_0729.thumb.jpg.bb09c99f821caa34f2af7b9066a0f3f1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

Cool. Tactical Solutions makes good stuff. I still have that Blus Ruger mkII .22 From Tac Sol

They make some bad ass Ruger based pistols thats for sure. 

9 hours ago, Danatkins said:

How hard was the lower to do?

That thing looks sweet

Extremely easy, just pop everything in. 

I bought a completed one 🤣. Read too many horror stories about ruining them by being off an 1/8th inch. 

If you done ARs this would probably be easy for you. I’ve never done 80% anything. Didn’t want to even tackle that drama.

Finally got to shoot it today. Not too thrilled either. Lots of cycling problems. It will not even come close to cycling subs. It does okay with HV stuff. 

I really think the slide is too heavy. So going to look at getting the slide lightened so it will function with everything. I’m not keeping something that requires specific, beyond caliber, ammo to shoot. 

11 minutes ago, vic_b said:

What about a lighter recoil spring? 

Would prefer that, but I can't find them anywhere. It isn't a standard Glock recoil spring unfortunately. 

Maybe contact tacsol? They must have run into this situation before. Gotta be a cheaper solution than machining your slide. 

30 minutes ago, vic_b said:

Maybe contact tacsol? They must have run into this situation before. Gotta be a cheaper solution than machining your slide. 

They have. Their solution is use the ammo that works. 

Edited by Etho

1 hour ago, Etho said:

They have. Their solution is use the ammo that works. 

Well... wasn’t that helpful. 

13 hours ago, vic_b said:

Well... wasn’t that helpful. 

Pretty annoying that this is their solution instead of fixing th problems. But that seems to be the norm for .22 conversions. Weird to me. I really think lightening the slide will fix it up. Just too much mass to move for .22LR. It’s a bit lighter than a 9/40/357 slide but not by much. 

11 hours ago, Danatkins said:

Do they not have different springs?

Nope. Not that I can find. I was gonna use a 10lb Glock spring but I don’t think it’ll work and I imagine this spring is already that low or lower.

Checked with them and nope, they don’t offer any options. Oh 

Edited by Etho