Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Always Check Your Ammo - Even Factory Loaded

This was in a box today at the academy. Luckily the cadet had some common sense and got my attention and asked if she should shoot it. That is 115gr 9mm with some serious set back. Most modern handguns would probably handle this just fine. But why risk it. 

A524BE19-32C7-40B2-AF42-304B5819ACA1.jpeg

Edited by Etho

43 minutes ago, Meke said:

Whats wrong with it ?  no crimping?

Projectile is too deep in the case. Either because of bad loading or not enough neck tension. Which the lack of neck tension can be bad brass or bad projectile. Either way, when that happens it creates a compressed load, which with fast handgun powders is no bueno. They already create massive amounts of pressure quickly, they don't need any help. 

3 hours ago, Etho said:

Projectile is too deep in the case. Either because of bad loading or not enough neck tension. Which the lack of neck tension can be bad brass or bad projectile. Either way, when that happens it creates a compressed load, which with fast handgun powders is no bueno. They already create massive amounts of pressure quickly, they don't need any help. 

Okay,   👍 im not familiar with pistol ammo. 

About how much to you estimate it was inset? I usually don’t pay that close attention. If boxed ammo, maybe I might notice if it’s much shorter than the next round. I also buy a lot of ammo in bulk boxes or tubs where it’s loose, so would be harder to tell. 

Wow glad she caught it.

I have never seen that in factory ammo but have had that happen on reloads. Good decision on not shooting it. Not worth what could have happened

On 4/7/2019 at 8:44 AM, Bob said:

Wow glad she caught it.

I have never seen that in factory ammo but have had that happen on reloads. Good decision on not shooting it. Not worth what could have happened

Me either. 

I kinda wanna shoot it. I might shoot it through my 9mm SBR. The chamber on it is rated for +p+.

Just saw 1 of those last night. But it was a fail to feed in a PSA AR9. Guy was running cheap after market glock mags and couldn't figure out why