Sign in to follow this  
Bob

flash can/linear comp

I'm thinking I will want something of the sort on my pistol build. Remember this is an economy build to start.

Would like 1 that has some flash hiding. What I'm seeing are 2 pieces, flash hider then the can screws on that.

What have you all used?

Not a fan of comps so I haven’t. I know people who use the shields for their comps and they say it helps. I don’t particularly agree. It’s still obnoxious. 

Flash can? 

I’ve used A2, BattleComp and AFAB. The AFAB is a good balance for me. I’ve read the EFAB is meant for shorter barrels, but like 10” range. Not sure about pistol range (7” or so, right)? 

A bunch of friends gave pistol builds, but haven’t shot in low/no light. Shorter barrels tend to be more “blasty”. At least to me. 

2 hours ago, Drck said:

Flash can? 

I’ve used A2, BattleComp and AFAB. The AFAB is a good balance for me. I’ve read the EFAB is meant for shorter barrels, but like 10” range. Not sure about pistol range (7” or so, right)? 

A bunch of friends gave pistol builds, but haven’t shot in low/no light. Shorter barrels tend to be more “blasty”. At least to me. 

10.5" barrel.

I know this thing will be obnoxious and I like the idea of down range

10.5" with a normal flash suppressor isn't bad. Better than a brake and a blast shield. I don't ever have problems with my 10.5". Have had a few people complain. I used it during a vehicle CQB course and while it was noticeably different than the longer barrel stuff, it wasn't unbearable or even unshootable. Just a little more concussion inside the car. 

Edited by Etho

Ok I'll give it a try with the a2 bird cage it comes with. I'll be at an indoor range so it will be a good test.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Etho said:

10.5" with a normal flash suppressor isn't bad. Better than a brake and a blast shield. I don't ever have problems with my 10.5". Have had a few people complain. I used it during a vehicle CQB course and while it was noticeably different than the longer barrel stuff, it wasn't unbearable or even unshootable. Just a little more concussion inside the car. 

You were/are right. It wasn't bad at all. I was expecting much worse. Saved my money and ears!

10 hours ago, Bob said:

You were/are right. It wasn't bad at all. I was expecting much worse. Saved my money and ears!

👍🏻

People, generally, just get told BS by people who work on old Fuddish notions. Kinda like how they’re also inaccurate due to barrel length. 

17 minutes ago, Etho said:

👍🏻

People, generally, just get told BS by people who work on old Fuddish notions. Kinda like how they’re also inaccurate due to barrel length. 

I was only shooting at 15yards but when I did my part holes where touching.

The shooting world is more superstitious than the Indians.

O and the shockwave is Not a comfortable option. Not terrible but good.

Edited by Bob
forgot something

52 minutes ago, Bob said:

I was only shooting at 15yards but when I did my part holes where touching.

The shooting world is more superstitious than the Indians.

O and the shockwave is Not a comfortable option. Not terrible but good.

The only thing lost is velocity which DOES knock down the "effective" range. But we're talking about 400m vs 600m. Still way beyond what anyone could ever justify in 99.9% of self defense shootings. 

No, I was not a fan of the one I had. I thought it broke my collar bone a few times. 

I just can't justify under 10.5 because the 556 is so velocity dependent.

I think the Damn thing bruised mine! I don't I had it in the shoulder pocket right. Got lazy with the M4gery.

21 hours ago, Bob said:

I just can't justify under 10.5 because the 556 is so velocity dependent.

I think the Damn thing bruised mine! I don't I had it in the shoulder pocket right. Got lazy with the M4gery.

As long as someone willing to understand that the shorter the barrel the shorter the effective range it's fine. 

Even if you do, it's still very uncomfortable. If I ever do another pistol it will use the SB brace. 

27 minutes ago, Etho said:

As long as someone willing to understand that the shorter the barrel the shorter the effective range it's fine. 

Even if you do, it's still very uncomfortable. If I ever do another pistol it will use the SB brace. 

For me this was a fun build more than anything else.

Yea I don't think I would use the blade brace again. It's name is perfect. The blade cuts right into your shoulder

Just now, Bob said:

For me this was a fun build more than anything else.

Yea I don't think I would use the blade brace again. It's name is perfect. The blade cuts right into your shoulder

It's awful. I gave the one I bought away as I was never gonna use it again. 

8 minutes ago, Etho said:

It's awful. I gave the one I bought away as I was never gonna use it again. 

Good chance I will do the same once I save up for an SB. The PDW and SB3 look like good options

On 4/20/2019 at 4:15 AM, Etho said:

The only thing lost is velocity which DOES knock down the "effective" range. But we're talking about 400m vs 600m. Still way beyond what anyone could ever justify in 99.9% of self defense shootings. 

No, I was not a fan of the one I had. I thought it broke my collar bone a few times. 

I always wondered why folks thought they need a gun for defense in the 200+ yard range. I mean the different areas people live can make a difference. I mean there could be reasons, I can think of many where I live, which is pretty urban. 

That said, I’m putting together a setup with a 1-8. Pretty excited about it. Have everything at least ordered except for the scope. 

2 hours ago, Drck said:

I always wondered why folks thought they need a gun for defense in the 200+ yard range. I mean the different areas people live can make a difference. I mean there could be reasons, I can think of many where I live, which is pretty urban. 

That said, I’m putting together a setup with a 1-8. Pretty excited about it. Have everything at least ordered except for the scope. 

That's cool and you should be excited!

3 hours ago, Drck said:

I think it’s the tendency of gun owners/shooters to be worst scenario people. It sometimes gets a little over board. We all do it to some extent.

4 hours ago, Etho said:

I think it’s the tendency of gun owners/shooters to be worst scenario people. It sometimes gets a little over board. We all do it to some extent.

Yeah. I know what you mean. There are many considerations and limitations. I mostly shoot with a 1x red dot, so I feel mostly limited to my ability to see and ID something. Another consideration I often hear about is limitation, or maybe more effective range, of ammo. I often hear people mention matching the range of the ammo to the entire system. 

For me, the 1-8 is part of the latter. Partially wanting to see if a magnified optic will help also in getting better precision in the 100-200 yard range. That’s more for testing “what if’s” of the gun, but like you sad, many “what if’s” beyond that. What could be done.