Sign in to follow this  
Bob

aluminum case ammo

I heard at the range last night that these can. " damage your gun".

Didn't make sense to me and a Google search only came up with 1 issue that could have been a out of spec firing pin on a new gun.

I don't run it but was wondering what you all have seen or know

Have shot cases of the stuff over the years. Just finished a case yesterday that I bought in January as a matter of fact.

Whoever said that is full of shit. Also they're likely listening to Fuddites who confuse shit all the time. There use to be a widespread theory, that was mostly disproven, that STEEL case was harder on things like extractors and ejectors. Aluminum cases are softer than brass, so there's no way in hell they can be hard on the extraction system of a firearm.

Now as far as steel case being bad for guns, it's not wholly untrue but not wholly true either. More overblown. Lots of people have done tests over the years and while steel is technically harder on parts it's negligible and not even noticeable until round counts that are absurdly high and to a point that parts would fail anyway. 

So in short, don't listen to Fudds and shoot away. 

Thanks. The metallurgy didn't work in my mind. Knowing that steel won't damage a gun, how could aluminum? Unless it was a pressure or some other thing I wasn't seeing.

I’ve shot a bunch of aluminum cases 9 mm. Think mostly Blazer and some other. I didn’t notice anything. Like mentioned already, aluminum is pretty soft. 

I’ve shot steel cases 9 mm and .223. No problems with 9 mm. Have had problems with .223 Tula, but I’m pretty sure that’s mostly the loading as opposed to the casing. I set up an AR specifically to test that, but haven’t done the testing yet.