Sign in to follow this  
Etho

The Fundamentals: Walk Before You Run

This isn't going to be anything ground breaking. Just a thought or piece of advice for those who are new or don't shoot very often. It's prompted because a friend of mine and I, who shoot together all the time and for years, had another guy who doesn't go very often at the range yesterday. He's a long time gun owner but VERY novice when it comes to firing them. If he's shot a case of ammo his entire life, I'd be surprised. But he owns some fancy shit with all sorts of whiz bang gadgets and tacticool theories. Don't take this as me bashing the guy. He's a good and responsible human being and absolutely someone we want owning firearms and representing us to the masses. He just doesn't shoot a lot. 

Anyway, so yesterday he goes with us. During the drills we do he gets upset because he is trying to keep up with our pace of doing the drills. We try to help him and he gets frustrated because we may not be doing exactly what we teach. I've had the latter happen before to me when teaching other LE. Is it hypocritical? No, I don't think so. Because it's all about the fundamentals. What do I mean? Well let's address his complaints first. 

1. Keeping up with others. Shooting isn't about beating other people, unless you're in a competition environment. Even then, when new it's about beating yourself. You cannot shoot very little and then expect to even come close to hanging with people who shoot cases a year. That's totally unrealistic. Stop doing that. You gotta walk before you run. 

2. We don't do exactly what we teach. This one may be wrong or right. I dunno. But I do have an explanation. It also is related to a post Dan made late last year about trigger pulls. It's like this, once you have the fundamentals down. You can start fudging stuff. Reason being is because they are so ingrained that even if something is different, instincts put you right back where you're supposed to be. Right or wrong, that's just how it is. So making sure that every little step is 100% right while static is SUPER important. So then if you are all fucked up on foot placement after hopping a fence, guess what? You're gonna punch out straight and do everything right. If you're draw is fucked up because of your hand being injured, you're gonna correct everything else from then on. If you're firing fast, you may not shoot from reset but you've pushed that trigger so many damn times that it doesn't matter what you do, it's mostly going back straight. 

Do I try to shoot 100% correct all the time. Sure. But the reality of life is that everything isn't 100% perfect in the real world. Some shit is always going wrong. So be prepared. Practice them so that they become second nature and no matter what if you have to fudge something, you're body corrects itself and you're alright. Mostly. Also, you can't run before you walk. Slow down and speed will come. 

Good discussion topic. I’d like to respond more when I have more time and on my laptop. 

I’ve always valued fundamentals in the various things I do and especially shooting. A training group that I’ve been shooting with the past couple of years really stress fundamentals. That doesn’t necessarily mean deliberate all the time, but it am certainly starts there. I’ve taken their basic and more “beginner” courses multiple times and I always find that I enjoy and my shooting benefits from it. Like any perishable skill, takes work. Especially useful as I have been sort of off and on with shooting the past year or so. 

Good comments drck.

For once in the last 6yrs I'm out shooting my daughter. She hasn't shot in 8 months and doesn'tnt have the same base fundamentals to fall back on. Well she does, just not as much time with them.

Shooting is perishable and the stronger your fundamentals the quicker you can get back to speed after a break.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:49 AM, Drck said:

Good discussion topic. I’d like to respond more when I have more time and on my laptop. 

I’ve always valued fundamentals in the various things I do and especially shooting. A training group that I’ve been shooting with the past couple of years really stress fundamentals. That doesn’t necessarily mean deliberate all the time, but it am certainly starts there. I’ve taken their basic and more “beginner” courses multiple times and I always find that I enjoy and my shooting benefits from it. Like any perishable skill, takes work. Especially useful as I have been sort of off and on with shooting the past year or so. 

Going back to basics is always a good thing. It's the foundation of all things, again even if we have to fudge for various reasons. 

I will be going back to basics on Saturday. It’s been since September that I went shooting. Going to concentrate on sight placement and trigger control. I’ll worry about draw at home. I also need a good holster for my G17 and 21. I’d like to get a jackass rig to use right hand draw. I am open to suggestions 

2 hours ago, vic_b said:

I will be going back to basics on Saturday. It’s been since September that I went shooting. Going to concentrate on sight placement and trigger control. I’ll worry about draw at home. I also need a good holster for my G17 and 21. I’d like to get a jackass rig to use right hand draw. I am open to suggestions 

Jackass rig? 

What sort of holster you thinking of. I’m pretty sure I have a spare OWB holster or two for the 17. I have a Safariland SLS duty holster you can have, but the model is for X300 light. 

16 hours ago, vic_b said:

Never messed shoulder holsters before. Always been a belt holster guy.