Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Pocket 9 Opinions?

Being back in the free world for a month and a half, I want a new gun. I’ve been carrying my Glock 19 again recently, and it’s fine for out and about, but a bit bulky for work/places you spend time with people who might notice. Something I could put in a pocket would be fantastic. I’ve wanted a S&W Shield for a long time, but reading up the last couple days I find myself attracted to the Ruger LC9s (preferably Pro). It’s a little thinner, a little lighter, and a little cheaper. I can probably talk my wife into cheaper. Everything I can find says they’re both great little guns for what they are. Anybody have horror stories or fairytales about either?

I have a LC9 that I got in trade a couple years ago. Mine is the hammer fired not stricker fired model.

Dam thing is unstoppable! And I have tried! It has gone swimming with me a couple of times when bowfishing, covered in pocket lint and marsh muck. Rinse the crap off in the river and it functions perfectly. 

Personally I think my 1911 is a more comfortable carry piece, but it will never see the kind of abuse I have put the LC9 through, and I don't know if it would keep running like the Ruger has.

Finish on the slide is coming off and it will start to "rust" if I don't wipe it down with oil regularly.

Also I pushed the tiny ass safety down "off" and left it off. Between the looong trigger and a good holster I believe it is perfectly safe. It is so small it's only purpose is to shut the lawyers up.

I have never shot a Shield so I can't compare the 2. Now Ruger has made the EC9s which is even cheaper and supposedly just as good.

The Shield is a known winner and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don’t dislike Ruger at all.  But if it came down to S&W or Ruger, I’d choose the Smith. 

Lately I’ve been carrying a Walther PPS. It’s in the Shield size category and love it. Walther triggers are light years better than anything anyone else is putting out. 

I’ve shot the LCR, I think. The .380 double action. Man, I hated that trigger. I pulled it, and pulled it, and pulled it, and finally lowered the barrel to bring it back on target... Except I still hadn’t fired it. The guy next to me laughed until he tried it. That was one loooooong trigger. But I’m very interested in a striker fired 9. 

I forgot about the PPS. I’ll have to look into that one, especially if it’s got a nice trigger. I’d also prefer a S&W over a Ruger, but my priority is that it’s pocketable. The Shield just doesn’t look quite as streamlined for that application. 

7 hours ago, JRed said:

I’ve shot the LCR, I think. The .380 double action. Man, I hated that trigger. I pulled it, and pulled it, and pulled it, and finally lowered the barrel to bring it back on target... Except I still hadn’t fired it. The guy next to me laughed until he tried it. That was one loooooong trigger. But I’m very interested in a striker fired 9. 

I forgot about the PPS. I’ll have to look into that one, especially if it’s got a nice trigger. I’d also prefer a S&W over a Ruger, but my priority is that it’s pocketable. The Shield just doesn’t look quite as streamlined for that application. 

The single stacks are still a bit big for pocket carry in my opinion and for me. I guess they’d work for some. If I want to pocket carry, I just use my Ruger LCP .380. 

Of course, I use to pocket carry a G26....

5 hours ago, Etho said:

The single stacks are still a bit big for pocket carry in my opinion and for me. I guess they’d work for some. If I want to pocket carry, I just use my Ruger LCP .380. 

Is that an entire box of 9mm in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Edited by JRed

1 hour ago, JRed said:

Is that an entire box of 9mm in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

That’s about the gist of it. I’m not the biggest fan of pocket carry anyway. 

I’d rather keep a free pocket, but I’m afraid even a tuckable iwb is going to eventually get some questions at work. And then people talk. 😕

7 hours ago, JRed said:

I’d rather keep a free pocket, but I’m afraid even a tuckable iwb is going to eventually get some questions at work. And then people talk. 😕

Use a clip and trigger guard holster.

18 hours ago, Etho said:

Use a clip and trigger guard holster.

Okay, I hadn’t seen those before. Any recommendations for brand?

1 hour ago, JRed said:

Okay, I hadn’t seen those before. Any recommendations for brand?

I use Technaclip for my LCP. I would do the same for my PPS,  but they don’t make one for them. 

https://technaclip.com/

My wife loves her lc9s she carrys it everyday I got her a shield she didn't like it as well so I carry it in a sticky holster in my pocket at work. No one has noticed it yet but I'm not in an office environment 

19 hours ago, Etho said:

I use Technaclip for my LCP. I would do the same for my PPS,  but they don’t make one for them. 

https://technaclip.com/

Those look nifty. I’m guessing the trigger guard works fine if you’re using it 

12 hours ago, Danatkins said:

My wife loves her lc9s she carrys it everyday I got her a shield she didn't like it as well so I carry it in a sticky holster in my pocket at work. No one has noticed it yet but I'm not in an office environment 

There’s a random near me that rents both, so I’ll try and get over there and compare. 

41 minutes ago, Dupa220 said:

LC9 was way to small for my dickbesters.

I got little baby hands! 😄

On 7/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, Etho said:

Bingo on the LCP.  Obviously not a 9, but takes zero thought or planning to carry just grab and go.  The LCP 2 really does have a superior trigger to the original and also has the lock-back feature for the slide when the last round is fired, which the original does not.  Weird.

Never heard of the Technaclip.  THat's pretty slick.

2 hours ago, JRed said:

Those look nifty. I’m guessing the trigger guard works fine if you’re using it 

There’s a random near me that rents both, so I’ll try and get over there and compare. 

I got little baby hands! 😄

They work just fine. Trigger is protected but it easily removes itself when drawing. The main idea of a holster when concealed carrying is to keep you from shooting yourself. So essentially it covers only what needs to be covered. 

It is probably the most comfortable way I’ve ever carried a pistol.

3 hours ago, FinFan77 said:

Bingo on the LCP.  Obviously not a 9, but takes zero thought or planning to carry just grab and go.  The LCP 2 really does have a superior trigger to the original and also has the lock-back feature for the slide when the last round is fired, which the original does not.  Weird.

Never heard of the Technaclip.  THat's pretty slick.

LCP II has a better trigger you say? That might be worth looking into 

2 hours ago, Etho said:

They work just fine. Trigger is protected but it easily removes itself when drawing. The main idea of a holster when concealed carrying is to keep you from shooting yourself. So essentially it covers only what needs to be covered. 

It is probably the most comfortable way I’ve ever carried a pistol.

If I could figure out a way to tuck my shirt in with it I could have my cake and eat it too

42 minutes ago, JRed said:

If I could figure out a way to tuck my shirt in with it I could have my cake and eat it too

There is that. 

You could go with a fanny pack. . . O.o 

I've seen those trigger guard things for pocket carry.  I don't like a whole lot in my pockets in general, so even a Glock 42/43 is quite a bit.  I'd be tempted to give one of those, a Shield or a smaller revolver a try though.  I have my AZ CCW, so I have been shopping around for more of stuff like that.  

1 hour ago, Drck said:

I've seen those trigger guard things for pocket carry.  I don't like a whole lot in my pockets in general, so even a Glock 42/43 is quite a bit.  I'd be tempted to give one of those, a Shield or a smaller revolver a try though.  I have my AZ CCW, so I have been shopping around for more of stuff like that.  

I’m not the biggest fan of pocket carry. I do it,  but it isn’t my preferred method. I’ve switched almost totally to AIWB. The draw is easier and fast. Less printing. 

Outside of true pocket pistols, most do not pocket carry well. Sure there are those that claim they carry a Smith 340 all the time. And they do carry that. If you really do the math these folks don’t carry all that much. Between work and then being limited on where they can carry the average person just isn’t carrying all that much.

Don’t take that to mean that I think their opinion isn’t valid. It’s very valid. As long as it’s relative to the carrying scenario. I carry a gun 7 days a week and usually all day long. So my needs and someone in my position is far different than the guy who carries after he gets off work and on the weekends. 

My advice for you guys may not always be the best just like yalls advice may not always the best for me. 

Edited by Etho

2 hours ago, Drck said:

A fanny pack is definitely going to get me questions. 😄

Trust me, if I didn’t have to have my shirt tucked in for work, I’d be looking at iwb all the way, but the dress code kind of limits practical carry options. I’d love to carry a single stack with one of those clips Etho linked, but it’s just not an option at work. 

Edited by JRed

48 minutes ago, Etho said:

I’m not the biggest fan of pocket carry. I do it,  but it isn’t my preferred method. I’ve switched almost totally to AIWB. The draw is easier and fast. Less printing. 

Outside of true pocket pistols, most do not pocket carry well. Sure there are those that claim they carry a Smith 340 all the time. And they do carry that. If you really do the math these folks don’t carry all that much. Between work and then being limited on where they can carry the average person just isn’t carrying all that much.

Don’t take that to mean that I think their opinion isn’t valid. It’s very valid. As long as it’s relative to the carrying scenario. I carry a gun 7 days a week and usually all day long. So my needs and someone in my position is far different than the guy who carries after he gets off work and on the weekends. 

My advice for you guys may not always be the best just like yalls advice may not always the best for me. 

You’re advice is definitely always appreciated because you do carry a gun every day. This thread has given me a lot to think about, and some options I hadn’t considered. 

4 hours ago, Etho said:

I've seen some of those pocket holsters whey they appear to keep the gun in a specific orientation, but it seems like the fit would be difficult.

When I had my CCW in WA, in the few times that I did carry were in slimmer OWB leather holsters.  This was before kydex.  That was also when temps allowed more concealment.

As Jred said, your advice is valuable and definitely noted on the context.  I see so many in a local forum saying they'd do this or that, but have never tried.  Yeah, many folks may have an ankle holster, but try getting to that sucker in various positions.  One must always try and verify for themselves.  

3 hours ago, JRed said:

Trust me, if I didn’t have to have my shirt tucked in for work, I’d be looking at iwb all the way, but the dress code kind of limits practical carry options. I’d love to carry a single stack with one of those clips Etho linked, but it’s just not an option at work. 

Well, you don't have to wear skinny jeans and form fitting dress shirts all the time. . . :lol: 

3 hours ago, JRed said:

You’re advice is definitely always appreciated because you do carry a gun every day. This thread has given me a lot to think about, and some options I hadn’t considered. 

There are definitely plenty of options.  Some good ones, but also some :facepalm: ones.  

4 hours ago, JRed said:

They make quite a few nice aiwb holsters that can be tucked. What about ankle it isn't the fastest draw but still better than nothing

1 hour ago, Etho said:

I’m shocked, in a good way, you can even carry at work. 

Well, I can’t say I’m making an effort to find out for sure... I know that’s maybe not the wisest, but I look around the office, and there’s a little over a hundred people and I don’t know if any of them are crazy. I assume not. I hope not. But I bet that’s what most people who got shot at their office thought. 

30 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

They make quite a few nice aiwb holsters that can be tucked. What about ankle it isn't the fastest draw but still better than nothing

I’m going to have to look at tuckable aiwb. I briefly thought about ankle, but I’m still riding a bike every day and I’d hate to kick a gun loose while shifting 😄

24 minutes ago, JRed said:

Well, I can’t say I’m making an effort to find out for sure... I know that’s maybe not the wisest, but I look around the office, and there’s a little over a hundred people and I don’t know if any of them are crazy. I assume not. I hope not. But I bet that’s what most people who got shot at their office thought. 

I’m going to have to look at tuckable aiwb. I briefly thought about ankle, but I’m still riding a bike every day and I’d hate to kick a gun loose while shifting 😄

Ankle is pretty terrible. Leave it in the era of wheel guns and 1911s....where it belongs. 

Looks well made.

I carry my LCP and PPS without a belt pretty often. The LCP is fine without anything and any clothing. The PPS will sag on some jeans. Hell I wear the LCP when jogging in gym shorts. I'm not the biggest .380 fan but that thing has it's place in a carry rotation in my opinion. 

My only gripe is they should have used the ulticlip XL the standard is a hair small. I can add those though

Can't help you with a 9mm Red but I keep a 9 inch weapon in my shorts and is fairly lethal when it gets angry and starts spitting 

6 hours ago, Blae said:

Can't help you with a 9mm Red but I keep a 9 inch weapon in my shorts and is fairly lethal when it gets angry and starts spitting 

Aren’t you worried something like that could injure your penis?