Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Video: Everything You're Not Supposed To Know About Suppressors

Its frustrating hearing dumb dumb polticians try and talk about things they no nothing about. 

Interesting about why the tax stamp is 200 bucks. Pretty cunty move by the govt back in the 1030s.

3 hours ago, dbinthecountry said:

Interesting.  Didn't know they had silencers almost 100 years ago.

I think that Maxims patent was filed over a 100 years ago. Hell they’ve only become popular in the last 5 years or so. 

7 hours ago, Meke said:

Its frustrating hearing dumb dumb polticians try and talk about things they no nothing about. 

Interesting about why the tax stamp is 200 bucks. Pretty cunty move by the govt back in the 1030s.

Yep. I guess they never thought the average person would ever be able to afford the cost. 

37 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

I watched that yesterday. He's a bit off saying the cans aren't hearing safe though.

No he's not. Some are and some aren't. While some may be technically hearing safe it still hurts and is doing damage. Only ones I can tolerate for more than just a couple rounds are all sub-sonic calibers. You throw a k length on a fast round and it's noticeably quieter but not comfortable at all. 

Edited by Etho

I’ve been around those shooting with cans and the crack of rounds like 6mm and 7mm supersonic rounds definitively need ear pro. Even hotter 5.56 is pretty loud. 45 ACP and heavier 9 mm (147 gr) are tolerable, but not the “psst psst” like in the movies. 

I think that big overbarrel  sucker i have is hearing safe.. I didn t wear ear protection with it.  The real noise is the buffer and bolt carrier slamming into the  shoulder stock tube  an inch underneath  your eardrum.  Its all to do with volume.  Big  captures and slow more gas for a split second more longer . but looks ugly where as a slim short silencer looks good but performs average. 

For me, it’s also about the pitch. There are some rounds with a much higher pitched crack. Not the best example, but .22 lr out of a rifle, it is tolerable without ear pro, or at least close. Same round out of handgun and it is much worse.  At least for me. 

Yep.  The silencer will never get rid of the  sharp crack as its a  piece of metal breaking the sound barrier. But that booom!  sound gets muffled up pretty good. Rapidly expanding gas noise is what really bothers me.  Two nights ago i was burning garbage out in the garden and i didnt know the missus had put an empty chocolate moose aerosol can in the trash. Sitting there poking the fire until it went BOOM!! That was louder than any gun ive ever shot before including 12 gauge.  I got the popped eardrum ringing noise and went deaf for a minute.  That was air pressure noise.. 

8 hours ago, Drck said:

For me, it’s also about the pitch. There are some rounds with a much higher pitched crack. Not the best example, but .22 lr out of a rifle, it is tolerable without ear pro, or at least close. Same round out of handgun and it is much worse.  At least for me. 

22 out of a pistol really? Maybe I'm already half dead. I shot a suppressed mk3 ruger a few years back and with standard ammo the bullet smacking the 2liter was louder than the round going off

14 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

22 out of a pistol really? Maybe I'm already half dead. I shot a suppressed mk3 ruger a few years back and with standard ammo the bullet smacking the 2liter was louder than the round going off

Pretty sure he means unsuppressed. 

4 hours ago, Danatkins said:

And to clarify, it’s not that 22 pistols are loud, just the crack is higher pitch and bothers me more than a 22 rifle. 

3 hours ago, JRed said:

Yes! Investment in higher education paying off! 

5 minutes ago, Drck said:

And to clarify, it’s not that 22 pistols are loud, just the crack is higher pitch and bothers me more than a 22 rifle. 

Yes! Investment in higher education paying off! 

🤣 It was worth every penny. I hope. Probably not.  

10 hours ago, JRed said:

Figured so, but then again my mother can hear someone whisper from 2 rooms away so who knows lol

On 7/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, Drck said:

I can tolerate .22 from a handgun but it isn’t super comfortable. A rifle doesn’t even phase me at all. 

27 minutes ago, Etho said:

I can tolerate .22 from a handgun but it isn’t super comfortable. A rifle doesn’t even phase me at all. 

Yup. Both are alright. Just saying to Dan that it’s not intuitive as to what people think “should” be. That its also the pitch that matters for hearing pro. 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, Drck said:

I believe you are talking about the same reason you do Not use a 22lr to get dogs used to being around gun fire. You are better off starting them with a 410, because it is less "painful" to them.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

I believe you are talking about the same reason you do Not use a 22lr to get dogs used to being around gun fire. You are better off starting them with a 410, because it is less "painful" to them.

Haha. Thought never crossed my mind,  it yeah, I guess that works too. Maybe .45 ACP pistol caliber carbine. 

14 hours ago, Drck said:

Haha. Thought never crossed my mind,  it yeah, I guess that works too. Maybe .45 ACP pistol caliber carbine. 

Fucking brilliant on the 45acp! Never even considered it, but yes.

13 hours ago, Bob said:

Fucking brilliant on the 45acp! Never even considered it, but yes.

.45 ACP is close to what I can tolerate without ear pro. Even more with the USPSA guys who load it on the low side. As long as they don’t have comps on the gun. 

6 minutes ago, Drck said:

.45 ACP is close to what I can tolerate without ear pro. Even more with the USPSA guys who load it on the low side. As long as they don’t have comps on the gun. 

Growing up never wore ear pro shooting. We shot a bunch of 22lr, plus hunting. So I don't even think about it with a 22 rifle.

But you are correct about 45acp. When I started shooting 9mm I was amazed at how "sharp" the report was, even with plugs in.