Sign in to follow this  
JRed

Grand Canyon Overnight

My wife and I did an overnight trip on the bike to the Grand Canyon a couple weeks ago. She'd been riding with me quite a few times, but never an overnight or even all day trip. She'd also never been to the Grand Canyon. So she wanted to try it. I made it into pretty short days. We started by going the wrong way (intentionally) to Payson, which was beautiful. Leaving there we had about 60 miles of some of the best touring conditions you could as for. Gently curving roads, 80 degrees, pretty much no traffic, and great views. We dipped across the desert to Cottonwood, and then up to Sedona. Sedona is beautiful, but it was a traffic madhouse. Turns out the entire population of Flagstaff was trying to park along the two lane road in the canyon that connects the two. Went up to Flagstaff, and then raced some thunderstorms to the south entrance of the park. We were mostly successful. Saw a few lightning strikes, got a little wet, but not bad. Camped at the south entrance, and walked around for a bit to stretch. Saw 3 good sized bull elk, which was awesome, since she's never seen anything like that in the wild. Hit the park early the next day to beat the crowds, and spent a few hours poking around. I've been there a few times, but the size is still unreal. I can't actually stand on the edge and understand what I'm looking at. We cruised out the east end of the park, which is where the video ends, and just took the highway home.  Had to wait out a rainstorm outside Flagstaff but only for 20 minutes. Saw some lighting strikes halfway home, and twenty minutes later saw the smoke from the fires they started. Also saw a semi that lost it's brakes on the downhill and opted to auger into the hillside instead of waiting for a ramp. He looked okay though. Truck looked totalled. All in all a good trip. Our buts were sore for the next week, and I don't know if she'll do it again, but we had a good time. 

1272322117_ScreenShot2019-07-28at6_02_11PM.thumb.png.a0c5598840c3a016cd9e86637c985ba6.png

IMG_0373.HEIC IMG_0387.HEIC IMG_0392.HEIC

God I love that country. Been to all those places multiple times over the last 50 years. AZ is not all desert contrary to popular opinion. If things would have worked out a bit different over the years I'd be living near Flagstaff right now.

7 hours ago, Meke said:

It seems greener than the pictures ive seen before.

There’s some decent elevation gain in places, enough to basically change climate. And unlike Southern California, it actually rains here 😄

6 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

God I love that country. Been to all those places multiple times over the last 50 years. AZ is not all desert contrary to popular opinion. If things would have worked out a bit different over the years I'd be living near Flagstaff right now.

I’d never been to Payson, or the area around there. It is gorgeous. Looked like some good fishing/hunting potential too...

You’ll have to let me know where else we should check out!

11 hours ago, Gran Torino said:

That's my favorite part of the state just a bit pricey

22 hours ago, dbinthecountry said:

I've never been there.  Would love to go.  Maybe when I retire...

Nah, no need to wait that long. It’s only... probably a thousand miles from you. Easy weekend trip. 😄

2 minutes ago, JRed said:

Nah, no need to wait that long. It’s only... probably a thousand miles from you. Easy weekend trip. 😄

😄 Just a short drive away eh?

That must have been a great trip.  Hopefully she will want to do more after this one.  Rode a bicycle along the South rim and slept in the reservation towards the East end.  That was only about 31 years ago. 

2 hours ago, FinFan77 said:

That must have been a great trip.  Hopefully she will want to do more after this one.  Rode a bicycle along the South rim and slept in the reservation towards the East end.  That was only about 31 years ago. 

Did you ride down that 10 mile hill on the East end? I bet that’d be exciting 

21 hours ago, JRed said:

Did you ride down that 10 mile hill on the East end? I bet that’d be exciting 

Well, I'm a little foggy on that detail, but probably since there's just the one road.  xD

11 hours ago, Etho said:

Beautiful. Riding two up that far would suck though. 😂

Yeah, I’m really glad we did a single night, and just 300 mile days. Normally I do about 500, and I’m pretty sure we would have both died. Or she would have murdered me. 😄

Just now, JRed said:

Yeah, I’m really glad we did a single night, and just 300 mile days. Normally I do about 500, and I’m pretty sure we would have both died. Or she would have murdered me. 😄

Probably so. I'm sure she gets better every time. When I still rode, I hated taking new women for rides. Invariably if I went out I was going to at least ride them around block. Don't get me wrong, I made friends and got laid that way but damn if it didn't suck. I almost wrecked so many times. No matter how many times I told them what to do they still did whatever. 

1 minute ago, Etho said:

Probably so. I'm sure she gets better every time. When I still rode, I hated taking new women for rides. Invariably if I went out I was going to at least ride them around block. Don't get me wrong, I made friends and got laid that way but damn if it didn't suck. I almost wrecked so many times. No matter how many times I told them what to do they still did whatever. 

It’s definitely unnerving when they start shifting around. I always tried to explain that they were basically unsecured luggage, and physics applied accordingly. Also, not fun to explain, sometimes luggage is too heavy, and shouldn’t be put on the bike 🤣

My wife is good though. We’ve done enough short rides she knows what she can and can’t do. And her being tiny helps. 

2 minutes ago, JRed said:

It’s definitely unnerving when they start shifting around. I always tried to explain that they were basically unsecured luggage, and physics applied accordingly. Also, not fun to explain, sometimes luggage is too heavy, and shouldn’t be put on the bike 🤣

My wife is good though. We’ve done enough short rides she knows what she can and can’t do. And her being tiny helps. 

It is that. Especially when they just start leaning into a turn. 

Even tiny ones can throw a bike around. Especially lighter sport bikes. That was the upside of when I still rode sport bikes, weight limits! Plus I was a bigger guy anyway so a good excuse to keep it down weight wise. 

Long time ago, a friend had a Harley with a p-pad. Most women were leery about getting on it. One of them told me it was like riding a giant vibrator. I was 16 at the time and didn’t quite know what say. 

Great video and beautiful scenery!  I caught your speed a few times on the video.  Seemed faster at some points.  

You should get one of those sidecar setups.  :P 

13 hours ago, Drck said:

Great video and beautiful scenery!  I caught your speed a few times on the video.  Seemed faster at some points.  

You should get one of those sidecar setups.  :P 

No. I like leaning 😂

I try not to hit triple digits with passengers, but the bike is really comfortable with her and full luggage around 95mph. There were a couple points where we were racing thunderstorms that we were moving kind of quick, but nothing crazy. And anytime you’re going 30ish over the limit through curving roads always looks fast. 😄