Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Short Rig Trip

Went out to the short rigs with friends today. The short rigs are as close as a mile and as far as 5 miles into the Gulf. It usually equates to fantastic fishing because it’s structure in the middle of the nowhere. 

We stopped off at the jetties on the way. Caught some trout, mother in law caught a red and we got some Spanish Mackerel. Friend of mine caught a Jack Crevalle. 

Went to the short rigs off the Louisiana coast. We were 2 miles offshore or so. Then the rain started. Got caught in the storm and that was no bueno. Almost 30 years I’ve been fishing in this area and never have been caught in a storm. Today was the day and it sucked! 

Ended the day at the jetties. Final tally in the boat:

1 Black drum

1 Jack Crevalle

1 Redfish/Red drum

4 Sand trout

4 Spanish Mackerel

26 Speckled Trout

We threw the black drum, Spanish Mack’s and Crevalle. They don’t eat well. 

1A246E78-C6DF-45F1-A884-D38D5D9ADFB8.jpeg

63DB3C10-C5EA-42C1-BA09-3360D5E27D87.jpeg

98CDFFC8-C932-4D77-A4FF-06E09868F091.jpeg

361B1782-3A71-4FB7-B589-38B4D53E30CD.jpeg

Edited by Etho

38 minutes ago, Meke said:

Cool.  What kind of boat you on.

Skeeter something or the other. It’s a center console style boat. Extremely popular salt water fishing. 

Cool.  Ive been binge watching video on boats. Alot of them from the gulf of mexico.  Boston Whaler  brand.  They all seem to have a lot of horsepower.  Three and sometimes four outboard engines hanging on a 20 foot boat. Those guys are nutcases. 

1 hour ago, Meke said:

Cool.  Ive been binge watching video on boats. Alot of them from the gulf of mexico.  Boston Whaler  brand.  They all seem to have a lot of horsepower.  Three and sometimes four outboard engines hanging on a 20 foot boat. Those guys are nutcases. 

Speed and two is one mentality. Generally a double engine set up is for going way offshore. 50-100 miles or more. Although we use to do it when I was a kid in 22' SeaRay with a 351 Cleveland. The boat I was in today had a v8 outboard and every bit of 350 hp. Probably more. We were able to cruise at 60-65 in semi rough water. 

A friend had a boat with some crazy horsepower, he took me out in some semi rough water. I thought we were going to destroy the boat. The way that boat slammed into the water was quite a ride!

9 hours ago, vic_b said:

A friend had a boat with some crazy horsepower, he took me out in some semi rough water. I thought we were going to destroy the boat. The way that boat slammed into the water was quite a ride!

Yeah it’s like landing on concrete isn’t it? 

56 minutes ago, Meke said:

Whats the best fish to eat out of that haul.

Speckled Trout

Sand Trout

Redfish

That’s all we kept. The rest are fun to catch but the greatest eating fish. 

15 minutes ago, JRed said:

That visibility in the storm looks like it sucks

It wasn’t as bad as the pic makes it out. But it was bad. 100 yards or so. It was half on and half offshore. So he headed out into the gulf to go around it. Didn’t work, it was just too big and kept building. So we just busted through and made it back to the channel so at least we aren’t out a ways. 

You didn't keep the Jack Crevalle?  Those trevally type jacks are prized here.  There's one variety that is notorious for worms, but they are all good fighting fish.  The ones without worms (we call them Ulua) are really good eating.  

3 hours ago, Drck said:

You didn't keep the Jack Crevalle?  Those trevally type jacks are prized here.  There's one variety that is notorious for worms, but they are all good fighting fish.  The ones without worms (we call them Ulua) are really good eating.  

They aren’t very good around here. Same with the Spanish Macks. In some places they eat the shit outta Spanish Macks. 

43 minutes ago, Etho said:

They aren’t very good around here. Same with the Spanish Macks. In some places they eat the shit outta Spanish Macks. 

Ahh.  The Giant and White trevally are really good eating.  Sometimes have to watch for ciguatera though.  :( 

25 minutes ago, Drck said:

Ahh.  The Giant and White trevally are really good eating.  Sometimes have to watch for ciguatera though.  :( 

What's ciguatera

36 minutes ago, Danatkins said:

What's ciguatera

An infection in reef fish that causes humans to get sick. I think it’s limited to Pacific Islands. 

Toxins when reef fish eat algae. Then the toxins get into meat of bigger predatory fish. It can be really bad. 

When you google up these fish to have a look at what they are, the  search recomendations list all your catch.  So they are probably a local ecosystem.

That jack crevale fish kinda has a dopey looking fish face. 

4 hours ago, Meke said:

When you google up these fish to have a look at what they are, the  search recomendations list all your catch.  So they are probably a local ecosystem.

That jack crevale fish kinda has a dopey looking fish face. 

Yeah, they’re all native fish to the area.