Sign in to follow this  
Several

How many photos can your camera take?

Cool article!  Good information.   I knew that mine was rated at 400k, but it is interesting to see the others as well.  I don't think that I've even hit 100k on mine yet, and I've taken tons of photos with it. 

Ahh.  Never even considered that.  I guess like anything, there's an expected service life. 

I assume most people will want to upgrade due to newer technology or aging equipment before this really comes into play.  At least for the average photographer.  Maybe a usper avid photobug would have to consider this aspect. 

That is a cool article sev - thanks for posting it. For what it's worth,  I'm here to tell you that for most of us 100K+ shots is a lot of shots.

Sports photogs can hit that mark pretty quickly though. I've done > a thousand frames at bike races and rodeos both. Shit happens quickly.

On a two week vacation, I can take maybe 2000 shots.  That would be 50 vacations.  Seeing as I'm not a billionaire, that would likely be spread out over 20 years or more. 

1 hour ago, Drck said:

On a two week vacation, I can take maybe 2000 shots.  That would be 50 vacations.  Seeing as I'm not a billionaire, that would likely be spread out over 20 years or more. 

Yea, I took something like 2,300 frames on that last trip I took (about 2.5 weeks).

Sports is what can kill it. At least races can. When you can lock down an exposure then run the shutter on full auto for 10-15 seconds at a time all day  ( or ... depending on your camera ... something like 70-100+ frames every time someone interesting comes through a corner, or launches out of a gate, or grabs a nice bit of air}. Rent a 600mm lens and go to one of the big surfing meets - I'll bet you finish the day w/ over 1000 photos.

First time I did a dirt bike race I ran through something like 1,300 frames in about four hours. Rodeos aren't any better. So - just do the local rodeo season or hang at the local dirt tracks and you've probably got 2-3 years to go on most camera bodies. I believe the shutters on the actual pro sports bodies (like the fast EOS 1 body) have shutter lifetimes rated at something like 200k or 300K frames. 

14 minutes ago, Janitor said:

Yea, I took something like 2,300 frames on that last trip I took (about 2.5 weeks).

Sports is what can kill it. At least races can. When you can lock down an exposure then run the shutter on full auto for 10-15 seconds at a time all day  ( or ... depending on your camera ... something like 70-100+ frames every time someone interesting comes through a corner, or launches out of a gate, or grabs a nice bit of air}. Rent a 600mm lens and go to one of the big surfing meets - I'll bet you finish the day w/ over 1000 photos.

First time I did a dirt bike race I ran through something like 1,300 frames in about four hours. Rodeos aren't any better. So - just do the local rodeo season or hang at the local dirt tracks and you've probably got 2-3 years to go on most camera bodies. I believe the shutters on the actual pro sports bodies (like the fast EOS 1 body) have shutter lifetimes rated at something like 200k or 300K frames. 

That's a lot of photos of scantily clad women in bikinis!  :D 

4 minutes ago, Drck said:

That's a lot of photos of scantily clad women in bikinis!  :D 

And with a high speed shutter, you don't miss a single bounce or wardrobe malfunction. 

3 minutes ago, Janitor said:

How can you have too many?

That's like a Zen Riddle, ain't it?

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

And with a high speed shutter, you don't miss a single bounce or wardrobe malfunction. 

That's like a Zen Riddle, ain't it?

:yukyuk:

39 minutes ago, Janitor said:

How can you have too many?

I didn't say anything about quantity.  Quality on the other hand. . . :D 

34 minutes ago, Thumper said:

With a large SD card, I'm thinking HD video!  :really: 

Just now, Drck said:

I didn't say anything about quantity.  Quality on the other hand. . . :D 

With a large SD card, I'm thinking HD video!  :really: 

Now you're cookin.

Hey - we got a YouTube channel - right?